COMMENT 11-20 430.111(B)(3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

I'm looking for constructive criticism on the following, and if you think it is merited, support in the form of comments from you on 11-20. Thanks, Jim Williams

4 Comment:
Change the text as follows:

red is deletion

430.111 Switch or Circuit Breaker as Both Controller and Disconnecting Means
(B) Type.
(3) Oil Switch.
An oil switch used on a circuit whose rating does not exceed 1000 volts or 100 amperes, or by special permission on a circuit exceeding this capacity where under expert engineering supervision. The oil switch shall be permitted to be both power and manually operable.

-or-

430.111 Switch or Circuit Breaker as Both Controller and Disconnecting Means
(B) Type.
(3) Oil Switch.
An oil switch used on a circuit whose rating does not exceed 1000 volts or 100 amperes, or by special permission on a circuit exceeding this capacity where under expert supervision. in industrial installations where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the equipment. The oil switch shall be permitted to be both power and manually operable.

5 Statement of Problem and Substantiation.

This is the only instance in the NEC that the term expert is used.
Let's not invent a new term, if we do, define it somewhere.
The meaning may either be:

under engineering supervision

-or-

in industrial installations where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the equipment.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
:angel:That's what the "experts" at the oil companies use to turn on and off the oil supply so they can raise prices when they need a new yacht.:lol:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I'll pretend you are actually asking. An oil switch is one in which the contacts are immersed in insulating oil. The oil serves to quench the arc. Often used by utilities for high voltage switching.

never used one. I stay under 600V though, although today I got a question from one of our salesman about something some one wants us to build at 15kV. I am not even sure where one would start.

I guess if it gets serious I will have to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.