wire pulling fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk146

what size pulling(mogul) lb would you use in an 1 1/2 conduit run with 3-2/0's and 1-#6 ground? thanks

electricalperson

you can use a 1-1/2 LB for that. but you can always use a larger fitting or even a piece of trough to use instead but you might need to support it depending how big you use 314.28 should help you

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might want to look at this recent link:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=102169

I'm not disgreeing with "electrcial person", but over the yerars the term "mogul" LB has fooled me. It is safe to say that not all 1-1/2 LB's will handle the same wire fill as the conduit can, but SOME will do so.
I'd be sure to check the mfg specs on yours.

electricalperson

augie47 said:
You might want to look at this recent link:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=102169

I'm not disgreeing with "electrcial person", but over the yerars the term "mogul" LB has fooled me. It is safe to say that not all 1-1/2 LB's will handle the same wire fill as the conduit can, but SOME will do so.
I'd be sure to check the mfg specs on yours.
im not quite sure what a mogul LB is. is it bigger than a normal LB?

electricalperson

ive also learned that using an LB in certain situations is not the best thing to do. ever try installing 600 mcm conductors in a normal 4 inch LB? impossible you need a piece of trough

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
electricalperson said:
im not quite sure what a mogul LB is. is it bigger than a normal LB?

with one mfg. that I know of, their "mogul" LB is bigger than the standard form, but it is still not rated to take full conduit size conductors. Most, if not all, of the manufacturers do make an LB that will accomodate the same number of conductors as the conduit. That design often has a "cover" that is actually 1/2 the LB body, so that, when removed, you have fully open space (no ends) from each direction. To me, those are as easy as using a wireway, and about 10 x easier than trying to wrestle a big conductor in an "undersized" LB.

cadpoint

I don't know the mogul side of this I did google it ... and well it still seems undecieded...

I've seen the argument to up size once, I don't practice it. Are all the correct sizes there for the "one up in size"? I thought that after 1.5" its really the second avaiable size, not just the next size. in respects to the threaded reducing bushen. ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you are installing conductors #4 or larger the size of the LB must meet the rule found in 314.28(A)(2) or it must be marked with the maximum number and size of conductors that are permitted to be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.