Meter Tampering

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

Somethings should be left to the pros and others just avoided completly.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,395663,00.html

Arkansas Man Dies Tampering With Electric Meter After Service Shut Off
Thursday, July 31, 2008

CONWAY, Ark. — A Conway-area man died from electrocution while he was using jumper cables to hook up power to his house after his electricity was shut off.
Authorities say 33-year-old Lonnie Montgomery was found dead Wednesday outside his home on Skunk Hollow Road. He was still clutching one end of a set of jumper cables. Officials say the other end was connected the electricity meter box.
Faulkner County sheriff's Lieutenant Matt Rice says it appears that Montgomery tampered with the meter box and a plastic cover installed by Entergy Arkansas after service was cut due to nonpayment.
Sheriff's Major Andy Shock says Montgomery was attempting to adjust or remove the jumper cables when he was electrocuted.

kjw444

Come to detroit and you will see this stuff all the time it's just crazy. I've seen jumper cables up at the top of the pole as well as extension cords, steel cut up and used as jumper bars. When times get bad people will do just about anything I guess.

iwire

Staff member
Members, if you want to make fun of dead folks you should probably go here.

If you would like to discuss electrical topics then stick around. :smile:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
Members, if you want to make fun of dead folks you should probably go here.

If you would like to discuss electrical topics then stick around. :smile:
In my own defense, I'd like to point out that I was only poking fun at the living. ;)

safety always

safety always

It's never good to hear of a loss of life, We as electricians know or have seen what can happen in the field. We also take a lot of preventive measure's to insure our safety. But when something like this happens, its a good thing to communicate this so maybe the next guy thinking of bypassing thier meter base inapropriatley will stop and think before it's too late.

Minuteman

It is sad, and this happens all too often. I will add that I noticed PoCo here has been cutting the overhead service and either rolling it up and hanging it on the pole, or removing it altogether.

steelersman

stickboy1375 said:
This case reminds me of every floor sander in the northeast, I've yet to see one not use jumper cables to get power out of a panel.
I've always seen them just directly landing the wires from the cord under an existing 220 V breaker or sometimes they can plug into range or dryer plug.

charlie

We still use boots (nylon boots that are installed on the load side of the meter) to disconnect. Most people pay their bill and we remove the boots but some will use very innovative ways to get reconnected. In those cases, we will disconnect at the pole, pedestal, or transformer as needed.

We have had customers climb the pole, open the pedestal, or transformer and reconnect their service. We do know how to prosecute for trespass and have proven it on numerous occasions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.