Good source for glove protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Any recommendations for a source that sells Class 00 electrical gloves with protectors?

The lowest price for tested gloves that I found was $79. with most being over $100. for the kit (glove and protector).

I think this is reasonable but was wondering if there is a preferred brand that is a little more "ergonomic"

Thanks,

Jeff

brian john

I might scrimp on somethings, but GLOVES I would want top of the line and as ZOG posted it makes little difference now. Lastly isn't your life worth at least $100.00.

jdsmith

I bought mine from McMaster-Carr. Type "1754" into the search box. $88 for Class 00 14" gloves with protectors, $22 for bag (on next page). All ships within about an hour of placing the order, warehouses located so it's 1 day UPS ground to almost anywhere. The brand names aren't in the catalog, but if you call and ask they will tell you. The gloves and protectors were Salisbury a year ago when I bought mine from them.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Had the chance to fit mine before purchase at the supply house (Grainger). The trick was getting the counter person to cooperate with a fitting session.

Started from the inside out. Fit the cotton inserts first, then rubber, then protectors, until making a fist was comfortable. Class 00 or 0 cost the same U$D 100.

brian john

Our Grainger's ask for one pair HMMM they don't fit can you get me the 5C69A Not a real number but the next size up) instead, their answer "Sure".

76nemo

I think BrianJ went unheard here. I can't believe you are pricing gloves, you need to be pricing reputation. I wear Class 1 and 2's, yet I need no more than Class 0's most of the time. This is NO different in purchasing footwear. Take your time in finding just the right product for you. This isn't test equipment here, you pay for what may just save your own life.

iwire

Staff member
Correct me if I am wrong but don't all the gloves have to pass the same tests to be listed a certain class? If that is so the only differences would be comfort and longevity.

I assume you all have your gloves tested as required?

If I recall correctly all my gloves have come from Salisbury.

76nemo

iwire said:
Correct me if I am wrong but don't all the gloves have to pass the same tests to be listed a certain class? If that is so the only differences would be comfort and longevity.

Correct me if I am wrong. Big orange may have insulated tools tested at 1000V's and sell for $5. You aren't buying those, are you Bob?

Don't take my tone or demeanor in the wrong way Bob, please. I am speaking of the matter of concern in QUALITY products.

76nemo

iwire said:

And Bob branded me on that one. I don't have my gloves sent out to be tested. The only rule I really stand by is exchanging gloves frequently if they are prone to hours upon hours of sweat and salt.

iwire

Staff member
76nemo said:
Correct me if I am wrong. Big orange may have insulated tools tested at 1000V's and sell for $5. You aren't buying those, are you Bob?

If I had to buy my own safety equipment, yes I very well might by those tools. I would want to handle them first to decide if I liked them or not.

Making an insulted screwdriver is not rocket science.

I am speaking of the matter of concern in QUALITY products.

Well having been a mechanic for a while I will say without question most of the Snap-On stuff is as good as it gets. But I never bought much of it. Just not worth it to me for the bragging rights. I can actually do my job efficiently with less expensive tools. No not 'Trade Master' tools from True value hardware but a reasonably priced mid grade tool.

76nemo

iwire said:
If I had to buy my own safety equipment, yes I very well might by those tools. I would want to handle them first to decide if I liked them or not.

Making an insulted screwdriver is not rocket science.

Well having been a mechanic for a while I will say without question most of the Snap-On stuff is as good as it gets. But I never bought much of it. Just not worth it to me for the bragging rights. I can actually do my job efficiently with less expensive tools. No not 'Trade Master' tools from True value hardware but a reasonably priced mid grade tool.

How do you define "Mechanic"? I worked as an Industrial Machine Mechanic for a while, but I was nothing more than an electrician that could work with hydraulics and pneumatics as well. Is that what you were referred to at the park?

djohns6

On a related note , do you guys have your gloves tested on a regular basis ?
We have two pairs of high/low voltage gloves and rotate them thru the test lab ( in house ) .

brian john

I never have my gloves tested. When they expire I chuck them in the trash and buy new. Too much hassle. I did have a pair that were within certification and put them on they ripped and fell apart.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Storing rubber gloves in the truck's metal boxes, in direct sun, may not help either. Maybe weekend storage indoors along with battery operated equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.