How long is to long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

rustyryan34 said:
How old you are?

How long have you worked in the electrical field?
18 years

Do you work for someone or own you own company?
Employee

I was just wondering till what age you plan on still working out in the field?
Don't really know. I did just change from a primarily construction company to one that is primarily service. Definitely less physically demanding.

guschash

How old?

How long in trade ? 24 years

BA in business, Apprentice school 4yrs. 2yrs. more for cross training

Tried being retired 6 years ago, that lasted 6 months. I joy the work and plan on to keep working. I have been a contractor for 5 years and have 4 other electricans that retired with me, work for me. We work when we want and canoe, hike, bike and fish and vacation with grandkids. Works out great.

Brady Electric

How long is to long

How long is to long

Ramsy, some days the animals wouldn't notice
Guschagh according to this survey I think I'm the third oldest on the form and now you see why I don't won't to retire, just have learned how to make my business my retirement, wouldn't have it any other way.
How long do you think this thread will continue?
I think this form shows we all work hard and don't have much of a home life it seems but I wouldn't have it any other way
Content in the mountains, Gods country
Semper Fi Buddy

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
don_resqcapt19 said:
A recent editorial in "Engineering News Record" magazine said that the average age of people in the construction industry from labors on up to the engineers and senior managers is 54.

Brandy Electric said:
just have learned how to make my business my retirement, wouldn't have it any other way.

My Business school texts described the toughest marketing audience as those over 40 yrs. When I read this I figured most marketing is BS, so naturally the first group to recognize it is the least gullible.

I now believe, when my co-workers are rarely represented by people over 40-yrs, much less 50, something is wrong; the group most capable of recognizing exploit has either decided to leave, or someone else is making that decision for them.

Last edited:

jnsane84

rustyryan34 said:
I just had a couple questions for everyone,

How old you are?

1. 36
2. 16 years
3. I work for a large company
4. until retirement (or death depending upon the cost of living):grin:

220/221

How old you are?

Started in 73 or 74 but was off and on for a long time trying to find a job I liked.

My current business is 15 years old.

If I never saw another piece of wire or inspector in my life I'd be happy. I almost made it into retirement but the crappy economy brought me back.

mattsilkwood

im 29 ive been in the trade off and on for ten years been doing electrical exclusively for the last five. ive never had the desire to own my own company. ill be in the trade till they stop collecting taxes:grin: . somebody said earlier that if you love what you do it dosent seem like work. i agree

rustyryan34 said:
I just had a couple questions for everyone,

How old you are?

<attempts to do math in head... subtract birth year from what year is it?>
umm 52 :)
<counts with fingers, removes shoes, counts toes...argh> 34 years :-?

work for a medium size contractor, but do have my own contractor license

My plan was to retire early and live a life of luxury and excess with fast boats, fast cars, etc. etc. So far, I have a long way to go... should be able to have a pretty good pension at 63. But will still probably do some work so I don't lose what marbles I have left, assuming there will still be marbles.;)

derf48

I'm in the 54 club.

My first summer of work in the electrical field was when I was 13. Have worked full time since graduating high school at 17, including the 7 years I was a full time college student.

Always worked as a employee. In '92 became an inspector, then the last 4 years have worked for a fortune 500 company as their corporate code "expert". Started my own education company in the late 80's and do about 30 or so seminars a year on the side. Have 3 kids in private colleges!

I planned on working forever, but the last 7 months have been battling cancer, I'm winning, but had lots of down time and have started to actually enjoy doing nothing once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.