circuit breaker / trip unit edu

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

Does anyone here know the best way to learn about large low voltage [3phase] breakers with trip units? I have been comming into contact more and more with these situations. Need to learn about the settings on the trip units and how to read the curves of the cb. Are there any courses or seminars out there i can look into ?
Thank you for the help.

templdl

Does anyone here know the best way to learn about large low voltage [3phase] breakers with trip units? I have been comming into contact more and more with these situations. Need to learn about the settings on the trip units and how to read the curves of the cb. Are there any courses or seminars out there i can look into ?
Thank you for the help.

If you can dig up a copy from Eaton there is a "Breaker Basics" soft covered book, A Working Manual On Molded Case Circuit Breakers that would be an excellent resource for you. I used it extensively when I was an Sales and Applications engineer for training, It was originaly produced by Westinghouse.
I only have one copy. If I had an extra I would gladly send it to you.
If you can get a hold of a old timer at Eaton who was originally from westinghouse he may know what you are refering to.

Attachments

• Breaker Basics064.jpg
    Breaker Basics064.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Breaker Basics 2065.jpg
    Breaker Basics 2065.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

zog

Thank you for the help.

I used to teach custom courses on exactly that, I would recommend either AVO or Shermco's LVCB class. While the concepts are the same for all trip units they all have different ways to go from trip unit settings to the TCC. Multitap CT's, rating plugs, multipliers, etc...

templdl

Thank you for the help.

I found a copy of the "Working Manual on Molded Case Circuit Breakers" for you.
Give me your address and I'll send it to you.
It is an excellent teaching reference.

G._S._Ohm

For reading the trip curves between 1x and 2x rated current to any kind of accuracy you need to do log-to-linear conversions and back again.
It's not as bad as it sounds. Excel's log function or (10^x) function will do this for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.