Feeder, Inside Or Outside The Building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

We have a feeder for an industrial building originating outside the building and running to it and then under the dirt floor going to an opposite wall. Would this feeder be considered outside of the building untill it emerges from the floor on the opposite wall so that the disconnect is required at this point? it is not a feeder tap.

RICK NAPIER

If it meets the requirements of 230.6 as referenced by 225.32, where your feeder comes out of the floor would be considered the point of entry to the building.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with Rick. It seems that 230.6(4) might be the applicable condition. Are the conductors in conduit, and is that conduit 18 inches below the surface of the dirt?

al

The conductors are not in conduit, and we do not know how deep they are. They were installed approximately 40 years ago when you could do this. Now we want to make some upgades and are not sure what to do. The floor is dirt.

mdshunk

al said:
The conductors are not in conduit, and we do not know how deep they are. They were installed approximately 40 years ago when you could do this. Now we want to make some upgades and are not sure what to do. The floor is dirt.
Sounds like a little exploratory digging is in order to find out where you stand. Some of the underground tracers can estimate depth pretty accurately too.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure I agree that they are considered outside the building

230.6 Conductors Considered Outside the Building.
Conductors shall be considered outside of a building or other structure under any of the following conditions:
(1) Where installed under not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete beneath a building or other structure
(2) Where installed within a building or other structure in a raceway that is encased in concrete or brick not less than 50 mm (2 in.) thick
(3) Where installed in any vault that meets the construction requirements of Article 450, Part III
(4) Where installed in conduit and under not less than 450 mm (18 in.) of earth beneath a building or other structure

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
al said:

you could do a little digging ( very carefully ) and find out how deep they are buried.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
acrwc10 said:
you could do a little digging ( very carefully ) and find out how deep they are buried.
If it is not in conduit or under concrete, I don't see what difference it will make.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
al said:
We have a feeder for an industrial building originating outside the building and running to it and then under the dirt floor going to an opposite wall. Would this feeder be considered outside of the building untill it emerges from the floor on the opposite wall so that the disconnect is required at this point? it is not a feeder tap.

How big of a feeder are we talking about ( amps/volts ) ?

al

Am I correct that by todays code even if they are more than 18" deep, but not in conduit they would be considered inside?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Dennis Alwon said:
If it is not in conduit or under concrete, I don't see what difference it will make.

you could just dig down 4'' and pour 2'' of concrete over it, but the feeder may be a POS after 40 years and need replacing anyway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
acrwc10 said:
you could just dig down 4'' and pour 2'' of concrete over it, but the feeder may be a POS after 40 years and need replacing anyway.

You could if you knew the exact path of the conductors. :smile:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Dennis Alwon said:
You could if you knew the exact path of the conductors. :smile:

Tracer, I would want to Megger the feeder wires after that many years under ground, then proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.