400A Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIRSPARKSALOT

Working on a 400A service...I plan on installing a 320A meter socket outside with a 200A disconnect on either side of the socket. From each disconnect I will run a 200A SER cable to (2) separate 200A MCB panels in the house.

The disconnects will be fused at 175A due to the fact that the SER cables are not carrying the full load of the house so I cannot apply 310.15(B)(6). The reason for the 200A CB panels is because the homeowner wants to have the ability to add potable generator inlet boxes in the future. The MCB will allow generator interlock kits to be used.

Questions:
1. Do you see any problems with the 200A MCB panels being used? I figure this is nothing more than a disconnect switch at this point. My primary over current protection will be 175A in the 200 disconnect switches.
2. In a 320A meter socket is there enough room to wire off the load lugs with two separate 200A SER cables to terminate in the disconnects switches mounted on each side of the socket?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1) Yes i agree.
2) You should be able to purchase a meter enclosure with the appropriate lug configuration to do this.

How far into the structure will the SER cable be run?

cpinetree

#2 - The meter to the disconnects will only require 3 wire (SEU) or maybe easier use 2" sch80 for the 6" over to them. From the first means of disconnect on, you will then have to run the 4 wire (SER).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do not see an issue either. Of course it will depend upon which code cycle you are under and what size ser you are using. If the ser is rated 60C then 4/0 alum. will not work on 175amps

Dont mean to re-engineer your project as I know no details, but what about running two 200 amp service panels to the garage via 230.40 ex 2 and then run a 125 amp feeder to the basement. Do you really need a full 200 down there? Would save you a ton of money. just an idea. For the original plan you supply house might have 250 SER.

Status
Not open for further replies.