PC duplex 180 or 360 VA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You have to count it at "at least 180," but you can use any number higher than that if you want. I use 180 for almost all receptacles. If I know the plan is to plug in a microwave oven or a fridge or some other item, I will usually pick a larger number.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It's based on the yoke, so a single would be 180va and a duplex is 180va also. Or as Charlie eluded to, if you know the load you could use that number, for a dedicated circuit.

cppoly

I know it's based on the yolk. But, I'm having a hard time assigning 180 VA to a duplex that's for a computer + monitor when I know it will more than 180 VA. How much more I don't know because all manufacturers are different. Maybe 250 VA, 300 VA? And if there's a lot of duplexes for PC's plus monitors, I don't want to overload a circuit.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
180 VA is used for load calculation purposes. The rating of the device will determine what rated appliances you can plugged in it. So another words a 15A duplex receptacle is not limited to 180VA it is limited to 1800VA.

If that is what you are asking.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As the others have said, if you know the particulars you would use values high enough to cover them.

Roger

cppoly

180 VA is used for load calculation purposes. The rating of the device will determine what rated appliances you can plugged in it. So another words a 15A duplex receptacle is not limited to 180VA it is limited to 1800VA.

If that is what you are asking.

I'm thinking if a duplex for a PC is considered 180 VA for calculations and the maximum of 13 outlets are connected to a 20A circuit, then the circuit would overload if the actual load per outlet is more than 180 VA, which I think it is for PC's. I wouldn't circuit 13 duplexes serving PC's, but I'm saying something seems wrong using 180 VA for PC's.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm thinking if a duplex for a PC is considered 180 VA for calculations and the maximum of 13 outlets are connected to a 20A circuit, then the circuit would overload if the actual load per outlet is more than 180 VA, which I think it is for PC's. I wouldn't circuit 13 duplexes serving PC's, but I'm saying something seems wrong using 180 VA for PC's.
If a single load is going to exceed 180va you could simply reduce the number of receptacles on the circuit but, in reality the PC may be the only load on the circuit so it wouldn't matter anyways.

Roger

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I go along with what Roger said, but I have asked what's getting plugged into a circuit, so sized it accordingly and then come back because the circuit is tripping and find fish tanks and heaters and fans, etc.

I once had a lab about 20 x 20 that had a empty 200 amp panel in it. The didn't know what they needed so I simply put every receptacle on it's own circuit.

mistermudd

Should be nameplate of the equipment, if you don't know 180 VA should be fine. However, if you are doing load calcs, they are not general purpose receptacles and there values must be taken at 100%, no diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.