Big gaffe

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdozier 78

So my boss and owner thought we could run PVC in the slab to dental chairs. Inspector came out today. Cited 517.13 to us. It's pretty clear that PVC won't work. Is there anyway around this code? The homeruns run from panel to a cabinet under x-ray equipment. We then planned on hitting boxes and feeding the chairs. This will have to be RMC or IMC. Could we run the homeruns in PVC. Sadly I vote no,am I wrong?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Pretty much no.

Maybe if you could find some direct burial redundant ground MC you could sleeve through the pvc.....but I doubt it.:roll:

517 is an article you really need to pay attention to, there are a lot of gotchas that can hold you up come inspection time. We did a dental office years ago, the foreman on that job got flagged for using regular MC in the patient care areas. Not fun.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
As Cow said, I'm not sure that a wet location MC cable exist that is also HCF rated. Not sure how you can fix this short of redoing it with metallic conduit. Is this a slab on grade or a slab with access from the floor below?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Pretty much no.

Maybe if you could find some direct burial redundant ground MC you could sleeve through the pvc.....but I doubt it.:roll:

517 is an article you really need to pay attention to, there are a lot of gotchas that can hold you up come inspection time. We did a dental office years ago, the foreman on that job got flagged for using regular MC in the patient care areas. Not fun.

I had one where the guy had to wire it four times. Just would not listen to me.:slaphead:

Here that would have been caught by the inspector before the cement was poured.

That's assuming that they called for an underground inspection.:roll:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Here that would have been caught by the inspector before the cement was poured.

Or even earlier. I've caught this on code reviews of plans before a permit is ever issued.

But some contractors & designers try to skimp on the intial design.

Status
Not open for further replies.