Differing Grounded Conductors on a box -- joined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

Let's suppose that I have two circuits entering a box. The two feeds are from differing CBs in the same panel, are not MWBCs, and they don't terminate to a common device (e.g., let's suppose this is a 4 gang switch box with two switches per cirtcuit). Should each of the grounded conductors be tied together (such as one would do with a grounding conductors), or do they remain seperate?

Thx,
Jason

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
My vote is for separate.

But I'm not sure why you would even run a grounded conductor to a switch. What would it terminate on?

lakee911

My vote is for separate.

But I'm not sure why you would even run a grounded conductor to a switch. What would it terminate on?

Isn't that new code? Must have grounded conductor at all switch legs? It's for those new fangled 'lectronic switches that require a return path (and it can't be the grounding conductor). Doesn't belong in the code but thats another thread...

I was thinking, though, power feeds would go to the switch and then off to the loads.

tsamples

The grounded conductors should definitely not be tied together. Is the OP asking about the grounding conductor. The grounding conductors should be tied together and that is a common correction in this jurisdiction.

marti smith

Seperate phases would allow sharing of the neutral but the ocpd's for the circuits would need to have handle ties; afci's would not be required in a non-dwelling, however, w/o the exceptions to 404.2(C) the neutrals are required to be at the switch locations.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Absolutley, the branch circuit ungrounded conductors of different circuits MUST be kept separate. Connecting them together will lead to all kinds of hazards and code violations.

Cavie

Absolutley, the branch circuit ungrounded conductors of different circuits MUST be kept separate. Connecting them together will lead to all kinds of hazards and code violations.

We are not talking about ungrounded conductors here.

lakee911

Sounds like they would be kept seperate.

Connecting them together will lead to all kinds of hazards and code violations.

It's not that I don't believe, you but do you have the code reference? I'd like to read up further. I don't understand what kind of hazard would be there unless they were of the same leg/phase and one lost an ungrounded connection somewhere. However, you always have that possibility and in some fault conditions all bets are off...why would this differ?

Sorry, I mistyped, of course I meant to say grounded-senior moment.:) My comments remain.

Is a grounded-senior moment when you go to adult day care and get sent to your room for being bad? :)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Sounds like they would be kept seperate.

It's not that I don't believe, you but do you have the code reference? I'd like to read up further. I don't understand what kind of hazard would be there unless they were of the same leg/phase and one lost an ungrounded connection somewhere. However, you always have that possibility and in some fault conditions all bets are off...why would this differ?

Is a grounded-senior moment when you go to adult day care and get sent to your room for being bad? :)

Of the top of my head- 200.4, 310.10(H), in some cases 300.5(I). I'm sure there are others.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Isn't that new code? Must have grounded conductor at all switch legs? It's for those new fangled 'lectronic switches that require a return path (and it can't be the grounding conductor). Doesn't belong in the code but thats another thread...

I was thinking, though, power feeds would go to the switch and then off to the loads.

Oh, of course.

But wouldn't they normally just be left unconnected at the switch until someone decides to insalled a new fangled switch?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Let's suppose that I have two circuits entering a box. The two feeds are from differing CBs in the same panel, are not MWBCs, and they don't terminate to a common device (e.g., let's suppose this is a 4 gang switch box with two switches per cirtcuit). Should each of the grounded conductors be tied together (such as one would do with a grounding conductors), or do they remain seperate?

Thx,
Jason

Separate, connecting them together at both ends would make them parallel conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.