Arc flash label for enclosure having different voltage levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

RohitK

Hello everyone,
I did arc flash analysis for an enclosure where there are three different voltage levels . Actually it is a three winding transformer enclosure of a wind turbine. The enclosure also has an arc detector and my client requested arc hazard analysis with and without arc detector operation. I have also created three arc flash labels based on the analysis at these three voltage levels.

When I presented these labels he got confused because there are three labels for this single enclosure. This is kind of new thing to me as well so I am not sure either. Does anyone have come across such a situation before? Does NFPA 70E (2012) or CSA Z468 (2012) mention anything related to this?

Regards,
Rohit

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you should have a label for each defined condition that might be encountered.

If the three different voltages are always present, you would not need a label for each one IMO. just worst case.

However, if each one can be locked out independently, you might well be wise to include an analysis for each condition especially if it results in a much lower HRC if one or more of the voltages is locked out so that a higher level of PPE than is really necessary is not worn.

I do not think this is actually required though.

You might well need a total of 6 labels - one for each voltage both with and without the arc detector in play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.