J-Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Esthy said:
Electric Inspector inspector wrote back:

Louis,
No you can not use the old panel as a junction box. 110.3 Listed and Labeled for use. It is a panel. NOT A JUNCTION BOX!!!

ultramegabob said:
I thought a panel goes in an enclosure.

I agree, the inspector does not seem to even know what a panel board is or the cabinet it is installed in.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ultramegabob said:
I thought a panel goes in an enclosure.

That is correct (can be a cabinet or a junction box) and I agree with Bob, the inspector and the IAEI instructor don't seem to be privy to this.

The IAEI instructor should read the J box and cabinet classifications in the White Book he references.

Roger

M. D.

Ask him to take a little quiz,..

A 200A rated panelboard (load center) has wiring space on each side that measures 4 inches wide by 4 inches deep. The total length of the wiring space on each side is 36 inches. Three individual splices that each consists of two 4/0 AWG THHN/THWN insulated conductors are connected by split-bolt connectors are located on one side of the panelboard in the wiring space. Each split bolt connector is about 1.5625 square inches (2 cubic inches). Does the NEC permit these splices in the wiring space area of a panelboard? If they are, do they comply with the NEC requirements for splices in enclosures?

A) Yes, No
B) Yes, Yes
C) No, No
D) No, Yes

Answer: B

http://ecmweb.com/nec/code_quiz_082404/

mattsilkwood

i dont see the big deal ive done the same thing in the past . ive always gutted the old panel. which imho leaves you with a very nice jbox. i have used the old cover also just make a sheetmetal blank for the openings and have never had a problem.

iaov

I've done dozens of these installations and never had a problem. A pannel box is a junction box!!It sounds like your inspector knows just enough to be a PITA.

Esthy

Is any way that we can propose it for 2011? ... clarify this situation? ... It is ridiculous to remove a perfectly sound panelboard - with all guts removed - and replace with a junction box, it add more costs. It is so much that the people can take. I gave away that job to an electrician friend of mine and he did it without permit. BTW, there will be no more Electric Inspectors for residential in this city, every inspection will be handle by general inspectors; I think this maybe will be good thing for the good and professional electrician, but what about the unscrupulous or neophyte electrician? A general inspector, checking one of my jobs, asked me what the lettering (THHN, THW-2, etc.) means!!! Whoa, What can we expect if those general inspectors will be electrically trained by you know who?
Well, I think it is time to let it go, thanks to all for your professional opinions.

iwire

Staff member
Esthy said:
Is any way that we can propose it for 2011? ... clarify this situation?

I believe the response you would get from the CMP is that it is already clear. :smile:

Per the NEC definitions this is a panelboard as covered by Article 408, it is missing only the dead front.

PanelGuts.jpg

This one may be larger then a homes 'loadcenter' but to the NEC a panel board is only the 'guts'.

Panelboards are generally mounted in a cabinet as covered by Article 312 and

This is a cabinet as covered by Article 312

10406_300.jpg

If the inspector understood the difference it would be a big help.

Esthy

Thank iwire, I apologize for my wording -subpanel, panelboards, cabinets, loadcenter, etc., I think in English and most of the time I translate in spanglish. Shame on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.