The most commonly ignored code rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnem

What would you list as the most commonly ignored code rule ?
Maybe you have one for contractors and one for inspectors, maybe not.

For both contractors and inspectors, I'm going to list 240.4(B)(1), no "one up" for cord n plug.
Everybody seems "on board" with 240.4(B)(2) and checking out 240.6(A).
Everybody seems "on board" with 240.4(B)(3) and stopping the "one up" at 800a.
But no "one up" for cord n plug loads gets ignored, in my experience.

Should somebody just submit a code proposal to throw it out ?

brian john

240.21 (B) (1) and (2)

10' and 25' feeder taps.

For inspectors where do you draw the line with these taps at 10'1" or just a visual guesstimate?

My gripe is the 30'-10 footer and the 50'-25 footer. Not actual distance but the total lack of any thought to the tap rule.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i do mostly residential service & pools; the most common I see are single 15A receps on 20A circuit and romex fed through PVC outside to pool panels, and through liquid-tight to the equipment.

while not a violation, i find a lot of oversized conductors (usually double) on hvac equipment, etc. . .

in light commercial service the most common I see is the 6' whip rule ignored when connecting lights.

Cold Fusion

dnem said:
I've heard complaints that 110.3 is overused. . Complaints even on this message board.
110.3(A) not being used by the AHJ - rather they say, "Oh it has to be listed, because we can't tell if what you propose is okay"

If the AHJ can't tell - which is generally true for industrial world equipment, then let the engineer of record sign it off.

PS: My comment does not apply to where the NEC says, "It shall be listed (and labeled)."

(edited to add PS)

cf

Last edited:

SEO

Ac units in front of disconnecting means, meters etc. Art 110.26. Raceways and cables not secured per related code Art.( nm cable art 334.30 emt 358.30(A) and(B) etc.) Also 300.11.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
SEO said:
Raceways and cables not secured per related code Art.( nm cable art 334.30 emt 358.30(A) and(B) etc.) Also 300.11.

All the time and 110.12(A) Unused Openings and 406.4(C).

It's usually the silly things that are most common.

jrannis

brantmacga said:
i do mostly residential service & pools; the most common I see are single 15A receps on 20A circuit and romex fed through PVC outside to pool panels, and through liquid-tight to the equipment.

while not a violation, i find a lot of oversized conductors (usually double) on hvac equipment, etc. . .

in light commercial service the most common I see is the 6' whip rule ignored when connecting lights.

You might be suprised when you read the wire size table in the instructions that come with the AC unit

dnem

Cold Fusion said:
110.3(A) not being used by the AHJ - rather they say, "Oh it has to be listed, because we can't tell if what you propose is okay"

If the AHJ can't tell - which is generally true for industrial world equipment, then let the engineer of record sign it off.

PS: My comment does not apply to where the NEC says, "It shall be listed (and labeled)."

Now I understand what you mean and YES you're right if the inspector says, "We can't tell if what you propose is okay" that doesn't mean "it has to be listed", it means bounce it back to the engineer. . Ask for the engineer to directly address one or more of the 8 categories in 110.3(A) and fax or email his reply.

That Engineer spends alot of time getting that degree. . I know he represents the owner or GC while the inspector represents the public/safety but that shouldn't be used as an excuse to prevent the Engineer from doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.