Raintight EMT fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm running some 3/4" EMT up the outside of a five story building and across the roof. I went to five supply houses to get raintight couplings and connectors. None of the suppliers or their other branches had raintight. One supplier found them in a Brideeport catalog and said he could have them in a couple of days (that means four days in supplier speak). I can't wait that long.

I'm going to the job on Wednesday and I'm determined to come up with something that meets code.

The closest I came was at one supplier. They had some made by Madison but you had to use a "compound" to make them raintight. There was no indication what the compound is or where to put it. He tried the Madison website to no avail. Anybody know what the compound is?

I can't believe how hard it is to come up with raintight EMT fittings.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just learned from my supplier that their raintite fittings for emt are not really raintight. I have used them for years in damp areas but fortunately I never used them in wet locations.

Can you use PVC???

peter d

mkgrady said:
Maybe, but I have to reach out from the side of the fire escape and the extra weight will be hard to deal with while I'm trying to spin the RGS.

I would go with the RMC myself. As I'm sure you're aware, EMT will not last long outdoors in New England

mkgrady

peter d said:
Well in that case, use UF....really. It's ugly but legal.

Really? I can use UF running up the side of a brick building and across a rubber roof?

I wouldn't actually do it but I'm curious about it meeting code.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
augie47 said:
Here's a link for T&B raintight EMT fittings. These are common in this area. Thought this catlog number might help.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/endeca/index.cgi?a=nav&N=295+2498+4294960779&Ntt=

Gus, it's interesting that most of those connectors are compression and concrete tight but not raintight. This is a raintight one
sg_1_g_tc111art_0_ph.jpg

This is non raintight. Note the different color

sg_1_g_tc111a_0_ph.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
mkgrady said:
I will be running the EMT up along the side of a fire escape and I'm limited to clipping every 10 feet at the landings, so PVC won't work
What does this mean?

I think you are talking about strapping. Yes?

peter d

mkgrady said:
Really? I can use UF running up the side of a brick building and across a rubber roof?

I wouldn't actually do it but I'm curious about it meeting code.

Sure, absolutely. I'm not sure about UF on a roof though, so I would sleeve it in PVC.

mkgrady

Dennis Alwon said:
What does this mean?

I think you are talking about strapping. Yes?

Nope, no strapping. I'm going to one hole clip it to the outside brick wall, five stories up to the roof, then I'm going to run across the flat rubber roof on sleepers to the exaust fan I'm wiring.

I can only get a clip on the verticle wall about every ten feet so I can't use PVC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Dennis Alwon said:
Gus, it's interesting that most of those connectors are compression and concrete tight but not raintight. This is a raintight one
sg_1_g_tc111art_0_ph.jpg

This is non raintight. Note the different color

sg_1_g_tc111a_0_ph.jpg

Dennis, I'm told the color was for identification. Also, the difference is supposed to be the internal compression ring is not cut as it is on the "standard" fitting, making it more like a copper tube plumbing fitting.
But, I was aslo told many of the other manufacturers had converted to the solid ring.

joebell

mkgrady said:
Nope, no strapping. I'm going to one hole clip it to the outside brick wall, five stories up to the roof, then I'm going to run across the flat rubber roof on sleepers to the exaust fan I'm wiring.

I can only get a clip on the verticle wall about every ten feet so I can't use PVC.

I believe strapping and clipping are interchangable in this instance. What we normally call clips are really called pipe straps.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.