Coonection boxes for Pv micro inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennyamada

Hi

Does the boxes from the Micro inverters has to be accessible or ready accessible?
What determines accessible or ready accessible under the modules.
Or is it up to the AHJ?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't know what boxes you are talking about, but micro-inverters do not generally need to be readily accessible. Your AHJ may require an additional AC disconnect 'within sight' of the array in accordance with 690.14(D).

glennyamada

Connector boxes for PV

Connector boxes for PV

I don't know what boxes you are talking about, but micro-inverters do not generally need to be readily accessible. Your AHJ may require an additional AC disconnect 'within sight' of the array in accordance with 690.14(D).

Let me better clarify if I have two arrays going to a junction box if the j box is located on the roof. Does this junction box be accessible (like under the module) or does it have to be ready accessible under the module but the cover faces toward the side.
Or to the side of the module cover facing up.
Can u help me on this.

jaggedben

Occupation
No, there are no rules about this. The only rule might be that the manufacturer of the box may state that it must be oriented a certain way to preserve its weatherproof rating. But I'm not aware of this applying to most junction boxes.

G._S._Ohm

Please excuse my ignorance. Can anyone split out the difference between 'readily accessible' and 'accessible'?

For sure, this will come up again and I'd like to have some benchmark to work from. If no one can, this is also a benchmark but at least it will be on the record.

So Cal

It is OK to have the j-box located in such a way that a module must be removed to access it. A down side to this is that sometimes the inspector will want to look inside the j-box during an inspection or you may want to get to it yourself for some reason.
I myself will still sometimes locate the j box in the middle of an array because of keeping the sub branch circuits short and not wanting to "waste" engage cable connectors.
Nonetheless when its all equal I always try to have the j-bxs accessable w/out removing modules

jaggedben

Occupation
Please excuse my ignorance. Can anyone split out the difference between 'readily accessible' and 'accessible'?

For sure, this will come up again and I'd like to have some benchmark to work from. If no one can, this is also a benchmark but at least it will be on the record.

Look at the first three definitions in Article 100.

To me the key word is 'quickly', which is more or less a synonym of 'readily'. Nothing on the roof is 'readily accessible', unless maybe there is a permanently attached ladder to get to the roof that is itself readily accessible. "Readily accessible" specifically calls out the need for a portable ladder as being unacceptable.

The NEC mostly gives AHJs wide latitude to interpret these terms, and I think that is intentional.

G._S._Ohm

Look at the first three definitions in Article 100.

To me the key word is 'quickly', which is more or less a synonym of 'readily'. Nothing on the roof is 'readily accessible', unless maybe there is a permanently attached ladder to get to the roof that is itself readily accessible.

"Readily accessible" specifically calls out the need for a portable ladder as being unacceptable.

The NEC mostly gives AHJs wide latitude to interpret these terms, and I think that is intentional.
Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

This definition seems to be as specific as it can be without specifying elapsed times, etc..

Last edited:

glennyamada

PV junction boxes

PV junction boxes

Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

This definition seems to be as specific as it can be without specifying elapsed times, etc..

So it is the individual inspector to say if it is okay and the code not to specific.
I guess if you want your project to pass inspection you must do what the AHJ wants.

thanks

jaggedben

Occupation
So it is the individual inspector to say if it is okay and the code not to specific.
I guess if you want your project to pass inspection you must do what the AHJ wants.

Well yes, but sometimes it may be worth it to argue; you might change their minds.

In your case it seems the question is not the definition of 'accessible.' The question is if there's a requirement that junction boxes be accessible. I don't know of any such requirement. And there is definitely no requirement that they be 'readily accessible.'

If he is saying that the boxes must be 'accessible', first ask him for where the code requires that. Then point out to him that a junction box is just part of the wiring method. The second definition of "Accessible" is '(as applied to wiring methods)', and it says 'capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish'. Temporarily removing a solar panel to get to a box does not damage the building structure or finish.

If an AHJ wants more access than that then he is way off base and that should be politely pointed out to him.

Bwilcox

Out of the 100's of arrays I've built I've never ran into a problem with "hiding" the j-box under a panel, it just looks cleaner that way. In my experience most inspectors respect a clean looking job.

Status
Not open for further replies.