250.64 (E) and 406.8(B)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

I went to a just finished and recently inspected house, my friend wants to purchased it. The GC was there and I suggested to bond the Grounding Electrode Conductor metal raceway (a piece of 4' EMT from the panel to a 6" from the ground/dirty) to both ends and to replace the non-weatherproof receptacles covers for weatherproof ones (4 + one on the roof ). He chewed me in a big way, THE D$%#@ inspector just approved that installation and the rest of the houses (about 6) and you are telling me he's wrong and you right!!!

Maybe I am confusing 406.5? ... Regarding 250.64 (E), his comment was: that is a BS.

If I am right and for sure I am:), then why inspectors approve this kind of installation? What can I Do? There are several houses in this way. We use NEC 2005.

I appreciate your inputs.

cadpoint

Why didn't you say, "Hey mister, I know what I'm looking at, You don't need to ring my ears with that language".

Besides you can pick-up the job for that friendship thing! :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Luis- I'm sorry but I am having a hard time understanding your post. Are you saying there is a 4"emt serving as a raceway for a GEC? What do you mean 4" to a 6" ground /dirt?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Esthy said:
Sunday hangover

How bad is leaving the emt without bond?

I t could be potentially dangerous. This is why I will use PVC as a sleeve. Much easier.

The emt will, as you said, need to be bonded to the ground rod. They make a special clamp just for that but I have never seen it used in the ground.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
chris kennedy said:
Really, how so?

Are you insinuating that it is okay to not bond the emt to the ground rod? Or are you challenging my weak memory and make me recall the issue it can cause...

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Are you insinuating that it is okay to not bond the emt to the ground rod? Or are you challenging my weak memory and make me recall the issue it can cause...
Non-bonded ferrous raceways increase impedance. Thats a given. Just wondering where the danger lies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
chris kennedy said:
Non-bonded ferrous raceways increase impedance. Thats a given. Just wondering where the danger lies.

Failure to bond both ends could create a condition where the reactance of the raceway becomes so high that it creates an ?inductive choke? that would limit the GEC's ability to carry current. That could mean that you basically have no GEC or an ineffective one.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Failure to bond both ends could create a condition where the reactance of the raceway becomes so high that it creates an ?inductive choke? that would limit the GEC's ability to carry current. That could mean that you basically have no GEC or an ineffective one.
Nice quote. In the real world when I have no available electrodes and drive 2 rods, what is my ability to carry current? I agree with your code reference and apply it, just don't feel that it is all that important to how the system functions.

But then again, I'm no EE.:smile:

Esthy

Oh, I love this forum even with the hangover. Now....Do I need to report that new complex - 8 houses -to the "inspector" so the GC fix the GEC problem or just look away and let people get injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.