EMT Verticle Riser

Status
Not open for further replies.
When running EMT in verticle riser what is the furthest distance you can space out the supports. The flooors are 14' and was hoping I could support just on each floor and not in between...

benaround

GalwayElectric said:
When running EMT in verticle riser what is the furthest distance you can space out the supports. The flooors are 14' and was hoping I could support just on each floor and not in between...

358.30 2005 NEC every 10' and within 3' of a box. I thought there was a

table for verticle pipe runs, but I don't see it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
benaround said:
358.30 2005 NEC every 10' and within 3' of a box. I thought there was a

table for verticle pipe runs, but I don't see it.

There is one for RMC, 344.30(B)(2).

Dexie123

Concrete

Concrete

If at each floor of this riser on the floors 14' apart the emt is supported with kindorff and is encased in concrete? Can this change the distanced of the support?

cadpoint

Dexie123 said:
If at each floor of this riser on the floors 14' apart the emt is supported with kindorff and is encased in concrete? Can this change the distanced of the support?
I hope you got a picture of it!

I always go by coupling's, once every ten feet OK, one coupling, once supported good for three feet on each side of the supported coupling, of course this is for horizontal runs. Only you know that its supported within the floor, besides it just look stark with no support, :)

Yes vertical, coupling at floor and strapped then drop a kendourf down 2' from ceiling. Drill a hole on the side of the kendorf, rod to ceiling.

I know with wall penatrations the conduit is considered supported, so you good for 3 feet. I'll have to look up the floor thing...

I even told the young guns about the same thing last week if you go to 2 feet from coupling an inspector doesn't need his tape, when the install gets to around 30 through 36", it start playing with their 0??? sight...

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
GalwayElectric said:
The flooors are 14' and was hoping I could support just on each floor and not in between...

If owner is avoiding expensive strut trapezes to reach conduit between floors, or wants to make a case to the inspector for local amendment or exception, perhaps tell the owner the worst they could say is no, causing a change order for the extra time & material.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
GalwayElectric said:

I think your going to have to do the work and support it closer then 14' intervals. How many conduits , how many floors ? Is it near a wall ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
cadpoint said:
I always go by coupling's, once every ten feet OK, one coupling, once supported good for three feet on each side of the supported coupling, of course this is for horizontal runs.

Are you saying that you must have a support within 3' of a coupling? If so I do not agree.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
cadpoint said:
Horizontal, yes. Vertical no, full ten foot sticks.
There is no requirement for supporting EMT relative to the position of couplings, or vice versa.

An exception permits extending support within 3 feet to 5 feet of a run termination provided no couplings are within that 5 feet. The exception uses the term "unbroken" to mean no couplings.

e57

I dont see a way to get to 14' by code. If this was inside a building I would say see what you could wing - but if exterior - I would say the liability could bite you in the end if it gave way and landed on someone or something outside of your customers property.

So you say there is NO way to support it, or no easy cheap way to support it???? No ladder? No lift that tall? No scaffold in the bid? No site elevator or crane? No bosuns seat? Window washing rig?

Don't wanna sound rude - but are you cheap? :D

How will you tighten the couplings if not supporting the conduit? Tighten the coupling and lower it down? Push it up? Dont sound safe....

14' between floors.... How many floors?

Hmmmmm - A mineralac style support to stainless cable stays to an accessible L-bracket for vertical support of the 'unsupportable' conduit - then a very firmly placed strut for lateral support.

Not sure bout EMT - but I do know you can get 20' sticks of PVC and RMC special order...

Apparently there is... Where to get it - I have no idea...
http://www.wheatland.com/marketing/pdf/WTC%2020ft%20EMT%20&%20RMC.pdf

Still wont save you from supporting it...

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
e57 said:

Not sure bout EMT - but I do know you can get 20' sticks of PVC and RMC special order...
Ummm... the pdf you linked to is for 20' sticks of EMT, not PVC, and S-RMC.

Not sure why the OP wants to skimp on support, but don't forget that if the conduit is supported at the floor of every level, i.e. every 14', the intermediate supporting can be anywhere between 4' and 10' AFF and meet code.

tkb

Don't forget about supporting the conductors per 300.19.
This depends on the height.

e57

Smart $ said:
Ummm... the pdf you linked to is for 20' sticks of EMT, not PVC, and S-RMC.

Not sure why the OP wants to skimp on support, but don't forget that if the conduit is supported at the floor of every level, i.e. every 14', the intermediate supporting can be anywhere between 4' and 10' AFF and meet code.
Yeah went back to chuck that in.... Man that google is quick....

But as mentioned - I am not sure the code has caught up with this 20' stuff yet - still gotta support every ten - which puts you back in the same boat with 20's or tens.... ;) One would figure if you got 2 per single un-broken 20... You could then cut it into 14' lengths and support each end - but the code is not worded that way....

cadpoint

don_resqcapt19 said:
Can you cite the code setion that says this?

smart$ said:
There is no requirement for supporting EMT relative to the position of couplings, or vice versa.

An exception permits extending support within 3 feet to 5 feet of a run termination provided
no couplings are within that 5 feet. The exception uses the term "unbroken" to mean
no couplings.
It's the way I do it with a horizontal run. Full 10 foot sticks

If you cover the first 3' with a strap, and continue on I'll put a second strap on the end
of the first (same) conduit before a coupling, that is two feet from the end.
Then I'll go ten feet from the point of second strap which will be 8' down from the last
coupling which will be for the second conduit and strap the conduit.

Two things it looks good and it also employs a stap ready for the next conduit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.