2029 Future PI: 110.26(E)(1)(a)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
This section misuses the term "equipment", which has an Article 100 definition that needs to be respected. Once that is fixed, clarification that structural members and insulation may be in the dedicated electrical space is required.

Cheers, Wayne

110.26(E)(1)(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment systems foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

Exception: Suspended ceilings with removable panels, structural members, and insulation shall be permitted within the 1.8 m (6 ft) zone.

Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Public Input:

The term "equipment" is defined in Article 100 and refers to material " . . . used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation." As such, the phrase "equipment foreign to the electrical installation" is a contradiction in terms: if something is equipment, that thing is in connection with an electrical installation, not foreign to it. Therefore a different term is required to express the intent of this section; since 110.26(E)(1)(b) uses the phrase "foreign systems," I suggest the word "systems," but any general term without a conflicting Article 100 definition would be appropriate.

Also, for the case that the equipment is installed within a wall cavity, it is commonly understood that thermal installation (often required in exterior walls) and structural members (such as a wall top plate) may be within the specified zone. Yet a strict reading of the current wording would prohibit those. Therefore it is appropriate to explicitly allow such items in the exception.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Or would it be better to change the word "equipment" to something like "mechanical systems" that would not include structural members and insulation in the first place? Then the PI would be as below.

Cheers, Wayne

110.26(E)(1)(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment mechanical systems foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Public Input:

The term "equipment" is defined in Article 100 and refers to material " . . . used as a part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation." As such, the phrase "equipment foreign to the electrical installation" is a contradiction in terms: if something is equipment, that thing is in connection with an electrical installation, not foreign to it. Therefore a different term is required to express the intent of this section; since 110.26(E)(1)(b) uses the phrase "foreign systems," I suggest the term "mechanical systems," but any general term without a conflicting Article 100 definition would be appropriate.

Note that I avoided the more general term "systems" to exclude from the prohibition items that are commonly understood to be allowed in the dedicated electrical space, namely structural members (the top plate of a wall) and insulation (often required in exterior walls).

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I agree with you but I feel like there must be a better term than mechanical systems because someone will think plumbing is fair game then and systems since some smart alec will say drywall isn't framing or insulation or something like that.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I agree with you but I feel like there must be a better term than mechanical systems because someone will think plumbing is fair game
Well, piping and ducts are already excluded, so I figured that covered plumbing. But I'd welcome a suggestion of a better term than "mechanical systems".

then and systems since some smart alec will say drywall isn't framing or insulation or something like that.
Good point on the wall finish, I left that out of the version in the first post. I guess more reason to prefer the second version.

Cheers, Wayne