Drill and tapping unistrut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
Has anyone ever been dinged by AHJ for drilling and tapping unistrut to mount a bell box?
The inspector said I couldn't use self tappers. I showed him the screw I used, even removed it to show it wasn't a self tapping one. He quickly changed his story to "you can't drill and tap either"

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The inspector is wrong. Did you ask him for a code reference?

Roger

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
I did and, are you sitting down? His reply was that it's my job to prove him wrong. He did readily admit to having used self tappers in the past when he was in the field. I argued that it was drilled AND tapped to which he said it wasn't UL listed for that

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That stuff can be drilled, cut welded, filed, and just about anything else including having things fastened with self-drilling screws (a self-tapper goes in a hole that's already drilled). If the integrity of the strut is compromised then that's a different issue.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Did you drill through the bell box or use the mounting ears. Drilling through the box might violate it's listing. I think he was talking about the box, not the strut.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
I did and, are you sitting down? His reply was that it's my job to prove him wrong. He did readily admit to having used self tappers in the past when he was in the field. I argued that it was drilled AND tapped to which he said it wasn't UL listed for that
Did you drill through the bell box or use the mounting ears. Drilling through the box might violate it's listing.
I used mounting ears. I don't understand how

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
I drilled it to 8-32 so box would be secured.
I'm half tempted to mount it directly to load center with a chase nipple and mount directly to it with the ears and add a dab of silicone to the penetrations but silicone makes it look like an afterthought

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I drilled it to 8-32 so box would be secured.
I'm half tempted to mount it directly to load center with a chase nipple and mount directly to it with the ears and add a dab of silicone to the penetrations but silicone makes it look like an afterthought

some bell boxes have dimples to act as pilot points for drilling.
i'd use 1/4-20's X 1", and thru bolt it to the strut. either the ears,
or thru the box if permitted.

you are in the awkward point where winning the battle can cost the war.
i have yet to see an inspector who does not have the capability to make
your profit disappear like chest hairs over an open bonfire.

a lot of folks pipe up with "screw that. tell the inspector to pound sand".
they usually aren't doing it with their money.

i had a warehouse manager on a job i had in plan check go into the city
council meeting, and try to get the head building inspector fired.

i never did finish the job. i had put up 600' of 3/4" pipe, and bought a lot
of material. i got paid for the material, and the profit on the material, so
putting up that pipe made me about $5,000.

walked away, left all the material locked in an office in the plant. never
heard from them again. they said they would call when the permit got
issued. they never did.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
I've had inspectors givee an actual explanation (their interpretation) of WHY it was a violation when I was dinged. I have always been courteous and professional to them and pick their brains for solutions at times when they throw AHJ "because I said so" at me.
Just gets frustrating at times.
I have had an issue in the past with senior inspector about a recep in an attic to be used for a quiet cool fan installation I did being too far away from attic access (was mounted within 6 feet of opening )
Apparently it is a " liability" for them to inspect if they have to actually climb INTO the attic to inspect it.

Thanks for letting me rant

garbo

Has anyone ever been dinged by AHJ for drilling and tapping unistrut to mount a bell box?
The inspector said I couldn't use self tappers. I showed him the screw I used, even removed it to show it wasn't a self tapping one. He quickly changed his story to "you can't drill and tap either"
NO but years ago our plant engineer would not allow us to drill and tap holes on instrut or any Beams. I believe that a properly drilled and tapped hole puts less strees on unistrut then a self taper. When we did drill for a 1/4 20 tapped hole in something thin like unistrut we always went with the next size smaller drill bit. all hand drills produce some wobble. [ instead of a #7 drill bit use a 3/16 bit along with tapping fluid. Some of the AHJ from small towns take it a little too far. Years ago a local yoker AHJ called me to inform that I had 3 dings after my inspector passed it. Told Forest Gump that if I had 3 real dings that I would quit the electrical industry. One was for a spliced #14 wire for a wire that would not reach a breaker after replacing old fuse box.Other 2 for a soda sign that soda company wired in after I was finished.

garbo

I've had inspectors givee an actual explanation (their interpretation) of WHY it was a violation when I was dinged. I have always been courteous and professional to them and pick their brains for solutions at times when they throw AHJ "because I said so" at me.
Just gets frustrating at times.
I have had an issue in the past with senior inspector about a recep in an attic to be used for a quiet cool fan installation I did being too far away from attic access (was mounted within 6 feet of opening )
Apparently it is a " liability" for them to inspect if they have to actually climb INTO the attic to inspect it.

Thanks for letting me rant
If they can not do the job should quit. Had an inspector demand years ago that I install a receptacle in a very small machine shop bathroom. owner did not want workers cooking in a crock pot sitting on top of smelly toilet. Told the local AHJ that this was not in township electrical code or NEC. Said it was his code. He got made when I asked him then to pay for it. Also did anyone ever observe the AHJ wearing approved PPE in front of an apen energizes panel?

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
Not all of the local inspectors are arrogant, just the "senior" one. My boss isn't crazy about me talking back to the inspectors when I do that. I have told inspectors in past get off of my job site after they have dinged me and spouted "because I said so" (AHJ). I asked them to please provide me with WHEREon their code book it was located so I could make a note to read up on it. That's when the backpedalling begins. We resolved issues peacefully before but lately there seems to be a rash of inspectors who got their Wheaties pi$$ed on or something!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We understand why an inspector shouldn't "let something slide" for legal and ethical reasons; it's just being responsible.

It's just as illegal and unethical for an inspector to incorrectly fail something as it is for one to incorrectly pass something.

Firetender

Occupation
Service manager
I really dislike the double standards they seem to be displaying lately. I rarely run more than 2 runs of 12/2 or 14/2 through a drilled holes so in the event a customer wants to add an additional switch leg I don't have to drill another hole but primarily it's for troubleshooting purposes. I have been called by homeowner on other sites where other contractors have done work so I could install attic fans prior to drywall and have seen up to 5 runs through a hole and it passed. I understand inspectors are pressed for time but it stood out like a sore thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.