Why no 125A 3 pole breakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two pole MCCB's go up to 125A. How come three pole stops at 100? What is the reason? Note I am referring to standard size breakers, I am aware there are special frame breakers that take up multiple spaces per pole.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What type of breaker?

idcplg

Miniature circuit breakers: square D homeline and QO, Eaton BR and CH, siemens QP or BL.......bolt on doesnt give you the 125 3 pole either. I assume it is something in the product standard that doesnt allow a three pole >100

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Two pole MCCB's go up to 125A. How come three pole stops at 100? What is the reason? Note I am referring to standard size breakers, I am aware there are special frame breakers that take up multiple spaces per pole.
What do you mean by MCCB?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
H, I know what your talking about now..
now that I think about it, I’ve never seen one either.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

For the most part, the limitation is probably the plug-on connection fingers. conceivably two breakers could be plugged onto one set of fingers. to prevent overloading, the manufacturers stop the single breaker design at 100A max.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I was thinking the stab ratings also, but what gives when they make 125 amp two pole?
I know you can’t overload the rating of the stabs by putting say a100 on one side and a 100 on the other side of a Resi panel.
electrofelon has got me wondering now...

I guess the mathematical logical brain I have wants a specific technical reason other than someone somewhere deciding "it seemed like a good idea to limit a three pole to 100A". Grasping here, but the only thing I can come up with is, I believe three pole breakers are almost always fully rated while two poles are typically slash rated and maybe that causes some issues in size and design at 125A?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That’s what I’m wondering regarding the stab limitations on maximum amperage per stab.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I was thinking the stab ratings also, but what gives when they make 125 amp two pole?
I know you can’t overload the rating of the stabs by putting say a100 on one side and a 100 on the other side of a Resi panel.
electrofelon has got me wondering now...
Most likely the 125A version uses the entire stab, and prevents another breaker from being added across from it.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
No, that is a special frame unit that takes up 6 spaces.

That breaker has #4-300kcmil lugs. You couldn’t fit that size in a standard 3-pole size. The two pole QO breakers accept 2/0 max.

My guess is the lug size is the sole reason. The only other thing I can think of is possibly the arc extinction chambers may be required to be larger for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
That breaker has #4-300kcmil lugs. You couldn’t fit that size in a standard 3-pole size. The two pole QO breakers accept 2/0 max.

My guess is the lug size is the sole reason. The only other thing I can think of is possibly the arc extinction chambers may be required to be larger for some reason.

How does that explain that 2-pole are everywhere and 3-pole are not? Why would 3-pole need larger than 2-pole? It has to be something that relates to the number of phases or poles, not merely the amperage.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
A speculative guess would be that the poles require a certain amount of internal space or separation per pole (given amperage as well) and that the equation is not linear. i.e. 3-poles requires disproportionately more space or separation. Perhaps 2-pole breakers are made with the internal components shifted to the outsides of the breaker to achieve the required separation. And thus the middle-pole on the 3-pole may not be able to achieve the same separation.

I have never read a UL standard, I'm just guessing based on requirements I've seen for using the outside poles (only) of certain 3 pole disconnects to acheive higher voltage or amperage ratings.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Perhaps 2-pole breakers are made with the internal components shifted to the outsides of the breaker to achieve the required separation. And thus the middle-pole on the 3-pole may not be able to achieve the same separation.

Reading through the square d documentation on 110/3, 125/3, & 150/3, it limits you to 20A cb’s on either side. So maybe this is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.