Dual-Rated Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Given a 3-phase motor with a dual rating of 230/460V, if we change the power source from 240V to 480V, would this require the wiring to be reconfigured?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Given a 3-phase motor with a dual rating of 230/460V, if we change the power source from 240V to 480V, would this require the wiring to be reconfigured?
If you mean inside of the motor, yes. Inside of the motor peckerhead (or on the nameplate) there will be a diagram showing how the motor connections need to be changed.

But if you meant the external wiring, then no, just what dkidd said.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I have a question from the field for a project that was issued before my time. The persons involved are no longer working at this office. The drawing says to rewire the motor for 480V. It is not clear to me what was meant by that.

Besoeker3

Occupation
If you mean inside of the motor, yes. Inside of the motor peckerhead (or on the nameplate) there will be a diagram showing how the motor connections need to be changed.
Different connections for a 4% change of voltage???

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Is the conduit and wire staying the same? Then you might need check the branch circuit wiring method is well bonded; 250.97 Bonding for over 250V to ground.

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
Senior Electrical Engineer
The answer to this question is yes the motor is connected delta for one voltage and star for the other voltage

Last edited by a moderator:

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
Senior Electrical Engineer
I have a question from the field for a project that was issued before my time. The persons involved are no longer working at this office. The drawing says to rewire the motor for 480V. It is not clear to me what was meant by that.
as i said before for the 460 V the connection would be star connection when 230v v is connected Delta

retirede

“reconnect” would have been a better way to describe what needs to be done instead of “rewire”.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Ainsley, your 3 links suggestion is, I think, for a wye to delta change. A 230/460 motor will either have 9 or 12 leads (most 9, 12 if configurable for wye-delta at either voltage).

For 230, a pair of windings are connected in parallel. for 460, that pair are connected in series. Look at page 10 of an example 10 HP motor I randomly selected, https://www.baldorvip.com/Product/InfoPacketExternal/?id=CEM3774T

Status
Not open for further replies.