De-natured Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Loyd

Hi all,
I'm told de-natured alcohol is now banned in CA, as we can no longer find it on the shelves at our typical suppliers. We use it often for cleaning current carrying electrical components for preventative maintenance work. Does anyone know of an alternative product we can use in it's place?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Hi all,
I'm told de-natured alcohol is now banned in CA, as we can no longer find it on the shelves at our typical suppliers. We use it often for cleaning current carrying electrical components for preventative maintenance work. Does anyone know of an alternative product we can use in it's place?
What's wrong with isopropyl alcohol? Denatured is ethanol with additives so people won't drink it. Ethanol is used in hand sanitizer.

Brandon Loyd

What's wrong with isopropyl alcohol? Denatured is ethanol with additives so people won't drink it. Ethanol is used in hand sanitizer.

Is isopropyl alchohol the same as rubbing alcohol? Is it safe to use on electrical parts i.e. wire insulation/insulating materials?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Is isopropyl alchohol the same as rubbing alcohol? Is it safe to use on electrical parts i.e. wire insulation/insulating materials?
Sort of. "Rubbing alcohol" is usually 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. "Isopropyl alcohol" is nearly pure. (whatever's economically practical and whatever the label says)

Safe to use on electrical parts? I really don't know.
It's NOT safe to drink.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Sort of. "Rubbing alcohol" is usually 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. "Isopropyl alcohol" is nearly pure. (whatever's economically practical and whatever the label says)

Safe to use on electrical parts? I really don't know.
It's NOT safe to drink.
91-92% isopropyl is what I usually use as an electrical cleaner-- stores never used to stock 99%-- I used to use it on the heads on my tape recorders. It's generally safe for electronics. Can also be used as a contact cleaner, general degreaser, and cleaning the rails of your model railroad.

The 70% 'rubbing' is often mixed with scents (wintergreen) as well as water; this 'rubbing compound' should NOT be used for electronics, as the fragrance may have unintended consequences! The water may cause rust, but the water and alcohol are usually mixed well enough that they will both evaporate before rusting can occur.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
CAUTION-- if you use alcohol around electronics, don't get it on plastics (such as front panels and dust covers)! It tends to cloud the surface of plastic items; almost impossible to undo.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Use Everclear.
add some to Pepsi when done.
The Everclear that you can buy here in California is not the same as it is everywhere else, it is 120 proof because it is illegal to sell anything that is more than 60% alcohol by volume. I found that out a few years ago when trying to make my own lemocello, because the recipie called for starting off with Everclear since you end up diluting it.

Business and Professions Code section 23403 provides as follows:
“No retail licensee, except a pharmacy or drug store registered with the California State Board of pharmacy, shall sell or possess on his licensed premises any undenatured alcohol of any proof or compound thereof which is an alcoholic beverage as defined in Section 23004 containing more than 60 percent of alcohol by volume. Undenatured alcohol shall be sold at retail only upon the prescription or order of the holder of a physician’s and surgeon’s certificate or a dentist’s or veterinarian’s license. Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.”
That law however has an exemption for drug stores IF you have a prescription from a doctor, dentist or veterinarian. So cozy up to that vet down the street... I did and she gave me a prescription for a gallon to "clean my horse's hooves" (I don't actually have a horse any more)...

Up until 2018 they did not count denatured alcohol in this because it was made unfit to drink (which is what denatured means) and this law has to do with the drinking stuff. What changed was that the California Air Resources Board added their own prohibition on denatured alcohol because it is a VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) that contributes to air pollution.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

retirede

The Everclear that you can buy here in California is not the same as it is everywhere else, it is 120 proof because it is illegal to sell anything that is more than 60% alcohol by volume.

Wow, that’s a shame. There are several great bourbons that are over 120 proof.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The Everclear that you can buy here in California is not the same as it is everywhere else, it is 120 proof because it is illegal to sell anything that is more than 60% alcohol by volume. I found that out a few years ago when trying to make my own lemocello, because the recipie called for starting off with Everclear since you end up diluting it.

Business and Professions Code section 23403 provides as follows:

That law however has an exemption for drug stores IF you have a prescription from a doctor, dentist or veterinarian. So cozy up to that vet down the street... I did and she gave me a prescription for a gallon to "clean my horse's hooves" (I don't actually have a horse any more)...

Up until 2018 they did not count denatured alcohol in this because it was made unfit to drink (which is what denatured means) and this law has to do with the drinking stuff. What changed was that the California Air Resources Board added their own prohibition on denatured alcohol because it is a VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) that contributes to air pollution.
Oh,wow...
190 proof here.

Status
Not open for further replies.