Installing a Smaller EMT Conduit Into a Set-Screw Hub of a Larger Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

britcollector

Occupation
Engineer
I have an aluminum 1-1/4" EMT set-screw type-T fitting with (6) #6 and (18) #12 conductors passing straight thru. On the bottom leg of the ‘T’, I am diverting (6) of the #12 conductors. I want to use a ¾” EMT for this leg. Is there an approved way to connect ¾" EMT to a 1-1/4” set-screw hub of a fitting? Because of space constraints, I'd rather not use an intermediate pull box to make the transition. I can’t find any NEC reference, nor a manufacturer who makes an adapter. Thanks in advance!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Use a reducing bushing. They make them in many different sizes

Z-ox_vocpEx_.JPG

britcollector

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the quick answers!

Dennis: I can't use a threaded bushing because it's a set-screw hub.

kwired: I was looking into a short 1-1/4" and then reducing that, but can't find any reducing adapters (other than EMT to rigid). The only way I can see doing it is to use a pull-box and bring a short stub of 1-1/4" into it and then exit with 3/4". Besides it not being very pretty, I'm tight on room.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the quick answers!

Dennis: I can't use a threaded bushing because it's a set-screw hub.

kwired: I was looking into a short 1-1/4" and then reducing that, but can't find any reducing adapters (other than EMT to rigid). The only way I can see doing it is to use a pull-box and bring a short stub of 1-1/4" into it and then exit with 3/4". Besides it not being very pretty, I'm tight on room.
About only thing I expected to find as well. Then use reducing bushing to reduce the rigid side and an EMT connector threaded into it for your 3/4 run. If some inspector questions it maybe they at least let you use an external bonding jumper around it?

britcollector

Occupation
Engineer
Hi Rob -- Yup, I know a threaded body is the solution. I was trying to avoid having to eat the costs of having purchased 15 of the screw type T bodies I bought that aren't returnable. Oh well....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi Rob -- Yup, I know a threaded body is the solution. I was trying to avoid having to eat the costs of having purchased 15 of the screw type T bodies I bought that aren't returnable. Oh well....
Sorry to give you the bad news. :oops:

We only buy the combination set screw/threaded conduit bodies for this reason.

480sparky

I can't claim to have even known of the existence of this 'set-screw condulet' fitting. All I've ever seen is threaded ones.

britcollector

Occupation
Engineer
Sparky, that's why I bought them...I got them for $6 each! I should have known that they were cheap because they were the runt of the litter! I'll sell them and get threaded ones. Live and learn!

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yup the combo type are the most versatile. I'm not a big fan of Topaz but that's what our supply house sells so that's what we use. Comes with the gasket and the cover.

Product.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I like K-wired's idea,.,,,,, short section of 1-1/4 conduit to an adapter (EMT to Female PT if available, or EMT to Male and a coupling) then install your bushing in that fitting.

britcollector

Occupation
Engineer
Little Bill: Yes...because I am running grounds for each circuit (sensitive CNC equipment) the number of current carrying conductors are fewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.