2 prong Ungrounded outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottA23

Occupation
Engineer
If you have 2 wire residential outlet box with no ground, I heard you can put a GFI at that box and put the label No Equipment Ground.
My question is If you have a house with 14 of these outlets 3 in each bedroom and the rest in the living room of a 1955 year old house, do you have to put in 14 GFI outlets to get the 3 prong outlet that is desired?
Or is there other options with like putting in a GFI breaker on those circuits and changing out the outlets to regular 3 prong outlets.
I'm selling my Dads 65 year old house and without damaging the walls and trying to get a ground wire there what are my code options without just leaving the 2 prong outlets because new homeowners and there realtors want 3 prong outlets?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yes, you can have GFCI breakers installed.

Roger

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You can do feed through on the gfi, but the likelihood of the rest of the receptacles being loop fed is slim. As Roger replied, gfci breaker would be the way to go.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You can do feed through on the gfi, but the likelihood of the rest of the receptacles being loop fed is slim. As Roger replied, gfci breaker would be the way to go.
Yes, much cheaper than 14 GFCI receptacles.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
In the old days, they used to spider them from the lighting box in the ceiling because there usually was just one outlet on each wall regardless of the room size.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't waste my time changing them out.

If that what is takes to seal the deal, I'd negotiate a price and let them do it once they become the new owners.

Sometimes, if not most,changing things out snowballs into more work than it's worth.

Jap>

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I always recommend leaving the non-grounding receptacles, and instead running one or two new circuits to those points where grounding is necessary and expected, such as appliances, computer systems, audio/video systems, etc.

This alleviates concentrated point loads on the existing wiring, and provides the actual grounding that those loads a meant to have. In my opinion, installing non-grounded grounding receptacles is a total waste of time and materials.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Are you doing this work yourself?
Any receptacles replaced have to be AFCI and GFCI if no ground, can use dual function or, or AFCI breaker at the panel and then GFCI breakers.
See section 406.4 (D)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
because new homeowners and there realtors want 3 prong outlets

Yeah, and they want a brand new house too for what you are selling it for. The idiots are buying a 65 year old house, that's what they get along with all the other problems they're going to find. If you were going to buy a 20 year old car, would you tell the owner to put in a nav system and air bags before you bought it?

If that what is takes to seal the deal, I'd negotiate a price and let them do it once they become the new owners.

I would tell them to pound sand. This is my price, take it or leave it!

And tell YOUR realtor to bring around more qualified prospects. No Millennials! :mad:

-Hal

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Coincidentally, I was hired to separate the neutrals and grounds from shared holes today. No issue; a HI noted it.

I also replaced the disposer, including the drain piping. Y'know the hardest part? The tiny wiring compartment.

I always recommend leaving the non-grounding receptacles, and instead running one or two new circuits to those points where grounding is necessary and expected, such as appliances, computer systems, audio/video systems, etc.

This alleviates concentrated point loads on the existing wiring, and provides the actual grounding that those loads a meant to have. In my opinion, installing non-grounded grounding receptacles is a total waste of time and materials.

Yeah I agree. Of course many people (even many electricians unfortunately) dont fully understand what the ground prong does and doesnt do ("important for sensitive electronics"), and in addition, they forgot how few general use resi things actually are three prong :rolleyes:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Install the disposal pigtail before installing it on the sink.
Well, duh! :unsure: Just kidding. I'm a champion of doing as much pre-assembly as I can while I'm still in a comfortable position. "If you want to know the easiest was to perform a difficult task, as a lazy person."

We don't wire our disposers that way here. Every one I have ever installed, wired, or even seen has been hard-wired with #12 NM in 1/2" FMC with an angle connector on it. The bottom plate has a thread-like stamping, so no locknut is needed.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah I agree. Of course many people (even many electricians unfortunately) dont fully understand what the ground prong does and doesnt do ("important for sensitive electronics"), and in addition, they forgot how few general use resi things actually are three prong :rolleyes:
Exactamundo. I started playing with electronics when I was six, and built foxhole and crystal radios. The head of my bed just happened to be next to the hall bath's tub shut-off valve access, so I had access to a decent ground.

And again, the new circuit provides a dependable circuit as well as ground, and relieves the original wiring of new modern loads.

paulengr

What pray tell us a concentrated point load on NM wiring? Is this where you hang the receptacles off staples hanging from exposed joists? Or is this where you use 3 $10 power strips daisy chained?

paulengr

Yeah, and they want a brand new house too for what you are selling it for. The idiots are buying a 65 year old house, that's what they get along with all the other problems they're going to find. If you were going to buy a 20 year old car, would you tell the owner to put in a nav system and air bags before you bought it?

I would tell them to pound sand. This is my price, take it or leave it!

And tell YOUR realtor to bring around more qualified prospects. No Millennials! :mad:

-Hal

FHA loans require bringing things up to Code. Very annoying. It’s a market thing though...if it doesn’t meet FHA then first time buyers can’t get an FHA loan on the property. That doesn’t stop them from getting an 80/10/10 or 80/15/5 or straight up loan over 80%, and it is cheaper. FHA and B/C loans are part of what caused the 2009 mess anyway.

The thing is if you have ungrounded receptacles you also probably have the wiring types known for fires anyways and the difference in labor and materials to pull 1 conductor vs. 3 if you also follow the code for neat and professional (not tract home style!) means it’s just as easy to pull all new.

mortimer

third party inspector
Occupation
retired
If you have 2 wire residential outlet box with no ground, I heard you can put a GFI at that box and put the label No Equipment Ground.
My question is If you have a house with 14 of these outlets 3 in each bedroom and the rest in the living room of a 1955 year old house, do you have to put in 14 GFI outlets to get the 3 prong outlet that is desired?
Or is there other options with like putting in a GFI breaker on those circuits and changing out the outlets to regular 3 prong outlets.
I'm selling my Dads 65 year old house and without damaging the walls and trying to get a ground wire there what are my code options without just leaving the 2 prong outlets because new homeowners and there realtors want 3 prong outlets?
Is the old wiring BX where, now, you may be able to use the sheath as the EGC? You would just need to run a gnd wire from the metal box to the 3wire duplex and make sure that the connection has continunity.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What pray tell us a concentrated point load on NM wiring? Is this where you hang the receptacles off staples hanging from exposed joists? Or is this where you use 3 $10 power strips daisy chained?
More of the latter. I'm thinking of a comprehensive surround-sound audio/video system, or a home-office computer system with printers and other peripherals. What other residential loads require grounding receptacles?

kwired

Electron manager
FHA loans require bringing things up to Code. Very annoying. It’s a market thing though...if it doesn’t meet FHA then first time buyers can’t get an FHA loan on the property. That doesn’t stop them from getting an 80/10/10 or 80/15/5 or straight up loan over 80%, and it is cheaper. FHA and B/C loans are part of what caused the 2009 mess anyway.

The thing is if you have ungrounded receptacles you also probably have the wiring types known for fires anyways and the difference in labor and materials to pull 1 conductor vs. 3 if you also follow the code for neat and professional (not tract home style!) means it’s just as easy to pull all new.
And it is up to the buyer to make sure it is done. It is their loan not the sellers loan.

If they can talk the seller into doing it for them that is acceptable but not required. The only thing that makes buyer vs seller do it is negotiations. Seller could accept a lower price and tell purchaser it is on them to make whatever changes they want in compromise, He could tell them he wants more if he makes improvements, or he could just say he wants what he wants and it is "as is".

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Point load on NM wiring:
space-heater.jpe space-heater2.jpe

I often see one in every room in a 1950's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.