Where did these values come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I typed the given information into MH spreadsheet for Fault current and came up with the 583 amps. I used the 8 as what would normally be the Neutral conductor in the SS calculation. Used 10,000 amp as Utility fault current and Cu in Nonmetallic raceway.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I typed the given information into MH spreadsheet for Fault current and came up with the 583 amps. I used the 8 as what would normally be the Neutral conductor in the SS calculation. Used 10,000 amp as Utility fault current and Cu in Nonmetallic raceway.

Do you have a link to the spread sheet? Is it the one in the free stuff?

Nuber

State Certified Practitioner of Electrical Arts
Occupation
Master Electrician
Where did these impedance values come from? Are they resistance or Impedance (R+Jx)?

I am betting resistance. See table 9 in chapter 9 under alternating current resistance for copper wires. .25 ohms per thousand feet. 200 feet is 1/5 of the length and also 1/5 of the resistance = .05 ohms.

Side note - is Jx common for reactance in your experience? Not busting on you but I was taught 25 years ago that Z is impedance, R is resistance, X is reactance. Z=R+X

I am aware that there are a multitude of symbols that are used are not universal. Just curious - I very well might just be out of touch.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I thought resistance can be formulated using Chapter 9 table 8 - working on it

I want to make a table for each wire method and gauge in simple ohm values. The issue I'm having is:

1) 3 phase systems with single phase line to ground faults.
2) Parallel ground current paths which lower resistance but raise reactance.
3) deriving an ohm value for 3 phase and single phase transformers.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I am betting resistance. See table 9 in chapter 9 under alternating current resistance for copper wires. .25 ohms per thousand feet. 200 feet is 1/5 of the length and also 1/5 of the resistance = .05 ohms.

Side note - is Jx common for reactance in your experience? Not busting on you but I was taught 25 years ago that Z is impedance, R is resistance, X is reactance. Z=R+X

I am aware that there are a multitude of symbols that are used are not universal. Just curious - I very well might just be out of touch.

I might be thinking of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system

Its common for transmission lines. Not sure if calling it Z= R+jX would be appropraite here.
The thing about AC or DC resistance only is that it produces high fault current values (vs actual) especially with larger conductors.

Nuber

Occupation
Master Electrician

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Ahhhh. {💡}

Light bulb given!

Ideally I'd like to develop a set tables where I can simply add two or more ohm values together for single phase line to ground faults. Both for breaker clearing time and short circuit calcs... in addition to labeling requirements.

Nuber

Occupation
Master Electrician
Where is the info that this is a 3-phase circuit? -

Valid point. That table is best I can come up with. Then again, does wire resistance change in a three phase circuit compared to a single phase one?

I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Valid point. That table is best I can come up with. Then again, does wire resistance change in a three phase circuit compared to a single phase one?

I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong.

If I'm right, (forgive me folks) reactance changes for L-G, L-L-G, L-L, and L-L-L.

Status
Not open for further replies.