Equipment Ground on a GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Shaw

Occupation
HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Will A GFCI receptacle trip correctly without a Equipment grounding conductor. I used Code article 406-d2 (c) and the GFCI will not trip? I must be doing something wrong?

kwired

Electron manager
Plug in tester actually subjects it to a line to ground load of enough current that should make it trip. With no EGC there is no place for that current to flow. It still will trip (presuming it works properly) if enough current is flowing anywhere besides between the protected "hot" and "neutral".

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Test button with a load?
The test button inside the GFCI receptacle itself uses a resistor to bypass current from the hot on the load side to the neutral on the line side. No current needs to flow in the EGC.
Since the plug-in tester does not have access to the line side of the GFCI, it has to divert current somewhere else, and the only place available is the EGC.
If you really want to use a plug-in tester you would have to connect a ground from somewhere to the ground prong of the tester.

GFCI receptacles are specifically listed for use with no EGC present, and that is why a few "No Equipment Ground Present" stickers are included in the package.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I will post a graphic tomorrow that shows why a GFCI does not need a EGC to trip.
Please consider a GFCI circuit breaker does not have a EGC connected, and it trips, but only with the test button

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A test the inspector could observe would be to use a solenoid tester between the receptacle hot and the ground of an extension cord that is plugged into a grounded receptacle. I've even used plumbing to test against when there's no EGC handy.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A test the inspector could observe would be to use a solenoid tester between the receptacle hot and the ground of an extension cord that is plugged into a grounded receptacle. I've even used plumbing to test against when there's no EGC handy.
Until I learned here that the only way to ’test’ was the button, that was what I did with about all GFCIs. That and TR devices.

kwired

Electron manager
Until I learned here that the only way to ’test’ was the button, that was what I did with about all GFCIs. That and TR devices.
There are many ways to test. Only one method recognized by instructions.

If introducing real fault current doesn't trip it, chances are the test button won't either. If it does, my suspicions go way up as to whether it is a counterfeit device or not.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Will A GFCI receptacle trip correctly without a Equipment grounding conductor. I used Code article 406-d2 (c) and the GFCI will not trip? I must be doing something wrong?
A GFCI does not care if there is an equipment ground or not. It looks at the difference in current between the line and neutral (for a 120V circuit) and trips if the difference exceeds 5 mA.

The best way to test any GFCI is by use of the test button.

synchro

Occupation
EE
The issue with using something like a solenoid tester or the like is that it may verify the GFCI is basically functioning, but it does not confirm it has adequate sensitivity to ground fault leakage.

For a lark I measured a resistance of 14.6kΩ from the line out hot to line in neutral on a Pass & Seymour GFCI when the test button was pushed. So that would apply 8.2 mA of unbalanced current for a 120V input.
A Sperry plug-in tester had 16.6kΩ when the test button was pushed which would apply 7.2 mA with a 120V input.
I couldn't measure a Leviton GFCI because pushing the test button also mechanically trips open the contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.