Brazen, Shameless and Unapologetic AFCI Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Listen to the first 8 minutes. They aren't even hiding it any more. Manufacturers are giving their "input" on the code because they supposedly know their products better than we do.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm a little surprised at Paul's new position. He pretty much echo's my position now which is that the data for justification is lacking and the lack of transparency in how they work. It just seems to me that they have never proven that they do anything at all. He'll make a lot of new enemies over this new stance. And like Paul, I'm all for progress to newer and better things for safety but if it can't be demonstrated as, for example the GFCI, that it actually works, I'm out.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I'm a little surprised at Paul's new position. He pretty much echo's my position now which is that the data for justification is lacking and the lack of transparency in how they work. It just seems to me that they have never proven that they do anything at all. He'll make a lot of new enemies over this new stance. And like Paul, I'm all for progress to newer and better things for safety but if it can't be demonstrated as, for example the GFCI, that it actually works, I'm out.

He is either waking up based on what he has seen on the inside or its simply being used in a physiological ploy crafted by his superiors in hopes of deescalating outrage while the expansion of AFCIs go through. Chances are its the prior, but I wouldn't put anything past corporations who spend billions on finding and perfecting every trick in the book.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
And the CPSC?? Who the hell are they? Pffft, fulfilling their mandate is just an excuse to fleece the public.

What's next, requiring those energy saving snake oil gadgets to be installed on every panel?

Already they want SPDs. Another money grab.

-Hal

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
And the CPSC?? Who the hell are they? Pffft, fulfilling their mandate is just an excuse to fleece the public.

What's next, requiring those energy saving snake oil gadgets to be installed on every panel?

Already they want SPDs. Another money grab.

-Hal

Simply an organization given credibility to create the perception that multiple yet "independent" organizations are backing AFCIs.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Somebody has got to threaten the NFPA. If they continue to pursue the ever expanding requirement to use these devices without showing concise data as to their effectiveness they will be made to pay. The NEC is the middleman and they have to grow a backbone and tell manufacturers to put up or go away.

The same for GFCIs being required where their effectiveness is questionable.

-Hal

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Bravo Paul! It's been well over a decade since the resistance began , at first we were tin hat conspirators questioning authority , then Dr Joe Engel came out in '12. The grass root awakening monsieur Charles gambled on has taken time toward fruition ...... Take out trade back ~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The part which has me enraged being that manufacturers have always known arcing is the very end stage of joule heating, not the beginning. Assuming combustion has not already ensued.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Somebody has got to threaten the NFPA. If they continue to pursue the ever expanding requirement to use these devices without showing concise data as to their effectiveness they will be made to pay. The NEC is the middleman and they have to grow a backbone and tell manufacturers to put up or go away.

The same for GFCIs being required where their effectiveness is questionable.

-Hal
You don’t think the manufactures have been putting up? There’s an awful lot of money involved in these code requirements.........

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Guys, I know I maybe in the minority here, and as to exact data I dont have it, I do however have some experience with multiple GC's who are doing their own wiring installations calling and complaining about AFCI "nuisance tripping" when they try to use their "table saws" or similar tool, when I explore what is happening I find multiple receptacles having loose connections, loose terminations on breaker, and one time even found a finish nail driven into a wire. When I correct the terminations, suddenly the table saw is no longer tripping the breaker. I have even just for kicks trade out AFCI to standard breaker prior to investigating to see what would happen, breaker didn't trip under table saw load, seeming to validate GC's impressions, but I went on to investigate and found those loose connections, sometimes a full turn and a half loose, tighten connections and replace the AFCI and the saw no longer tripped the breaker. To me that seems to indicate the AFCI is doing what it is promoted as doing. Sorry that is as close to "data" that I can come up with.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The difference is he was aggressive in his defense of AFCI use and adoption into the code with every new cycle. Now for some reason he has decided to contradict everything he has ever said about them by saying there needs to be some evidence that they work and pointing out quite clearly that there is none. He then re contradicts himself again by saying he believes AFCI technology is valid.

I also find it interesting that he comes out and admits that code changes come about based on things other than facts and that there is politicking involved. To hear him before, the CMPs were second to none in purity of purpose.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
The difference is he was aggressive in his defense of AFCI use and adoption into the code with every new cycle. Now for some reason he has decided to contradict everything he has ever said about them by saying there needs to be some evidence that they work and pointing out quite clearly that there is none. He then re contradicts himself again by saying he believes AFCI technology is valid.

Times are tough. Maybe they cut his "paid mouthpiece" check.

-Hal

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

I also find it interesting that he comes out and admits that code changes come about based on things other than facts and that there is politicking involved. To hear him before, the CMPs were second to none in purity of purpose.

He was a mod on another forum (prior to the one he made a few years ago) where he would edit or delete any reply which was critical of AFCIs or the NEC itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.