Ufer ground... still need ground rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wiring a shop / pole barn. Got a uffer ground. Will the inspector require ground rods 6 ' apart at the disconnect?
He might, but not an NEC requirement. The compliant Ufer electrode is considered better than rods.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
25 ohms
A long-standing rule says that a ground rod or pipe or plate electrode must have a resistance to earth of 25 ohms or less, or be supplemented by an additional electrode [250.53(A)(2)]. These requirements were spread out in several different Code sections until the 2011 edition. The Code requirements are now easier to understand and match the standard industry practice of driving two ground rods instead of testing the resistance of a single driven rod. The allowance to use only a single rod, pipe, or plate electrode when a resistance of 25 ohms or less to ground is obtained is now written as an exception to [250.53(A)(2)].

Were this enforced, i'd wager Ufers would become rather popular.....~RJ~

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Were this enforced, i'd wager Ufers would become rather popular.....~RJ~

If what specifically were enforced? Testing a single rod or installing two rods?

Power company's are notorious for stepping out of bounds like that. You have no recourse, unfortunately.
Seems like a dumb POCO requirement. OP didn't say this was a service.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Ours won't hook up without an inspection, which covers that.
Ours have a completely different set of rules in addition to both (1) the NEC and (2) local amendments to the NEC.
I've passed inspections and still had arguments with the POCO.

You're better off checking with both your local inspector and the POCO prior to starting as opposed to having to make changes later.

It feels like a bad Office Space joke about TPS reports having to deal with 3 different "bosses," but it is what it is until we change what it is...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ours won't hook up without an inspection, which covers that.
Even with a passed inspection and code compliant grounding electrodes, which do not always include ground rods, our utility will not connect power unless there are two driven ground rods at the meter.

retirede

Even with a passed inspection and code compliant grounding electrodes, which do not always include ground rods, our utility will not connect power unless there are two driven ground rods at the meter.

So you need two, 8” rods to put in place until they leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ironically, we're not allowed to land GECs in meters, although I believe that's the perfect place for exterior electrodes.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
We have a few POCOs in the KCMO metro area...
Ameren
Evergy
Independence P & L
Board of Public Utilities (KCKS)
Platt-Clay Electric

They all have variations, but Evergy is the loosest. Never really know what they're looking for. They require the meter to be bonded. Sometimes separate rod, sometimes to same rod as the panel with separate clamp, sometimes a jumper to bonding bridge. To each his own it seems 🤷‍♂️

Platt-Clay requires separate rods driven to a depth of 18" below grade.

I always call and ask the city and POCO. Never know when they're gonna change specs

Status
Not open for further replies.