SCCR rating on HVAC equipment control panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I am aware that since I believe the 2008 NEC that control panels need to have an SCCR rating and that typically these can be quite low. BUT in the wake of that requirement, I'm curious to know if manufacturer's have put in fusing to bolster this and/or if many of these panels are still being sold with SCCR rating lower than 10kA unless a higher value is specifically request

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The manufacturer will do what ever is cheapest, unless you specify otherwise when you order that equipment. Often that defaults to a SCCR of 5kA.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The manufacturer will do what ever is cheapest, unless you specify otherwise when you order that equipment. Often that defaults to a SCCR of 5kA.
Yes, it's going to take a lot of painful experiences before specifications and purchase order processes change. Cheapest usually has a reason behind it, yet often that's the primary decision criteria.

Had one a couple of months ago where someone wanted my help on "making" the available fault current to be lower than 5kA because that's what came on the panel they bought. They didn't like most of the options I gave them.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, it's going to take a lot of painful experiences before specifications and purchase order processes change. Cheapest usually has a reason behind it, yet often that's the primary decision criteria.
The other issue is that the electrical and mechanical engineers at the design firms don't always talk to each other about these issues.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Yep to all of the above.

I have found that often times the listing of 5kA is just because no one wanted to spend the time (money) to see what it actually is. Upon actual investigation, it may be much higher, but if you can get away with saying only 5kA and spending zero hours doing the calcs, I don't blame suppliers for doing this.

So it can be less of an equipment or component issue, and more of a "nobody spent the time" issue.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yep to all of the above.

I have found that often times the listing of 5kA is just because no one wanted to spend the time (money) to see what it actually is. Upon actual investigation, it may be much higher, but if you can get away with saying only 5kA and spending zero hours doing the calcs, I don't blame suppliers for doing this.

So it can be less of an equipment or component issue, and more of a "nobody spent the time" issue.
Exactly. What I told the customer I mentioned above was to send it back to the supplier and insist that they do a better job of paying attention to that. Almost all of the parts inside were from the same mfr, so it really was just a process of looking up the UL SCCR file data on them to get a higher value, they were just being too lazy about it. But it was THEIR UL label, so they had to be the ones to change it, and UL doesn't let you change labels in the field. They came back and insisted on $1,000 plus shipping both ways to do this. Total ripoff if you ask me...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the manufacturers can do absolutely nothing and call it 5K. If the available fault current is higher what is the solution?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So the manufacturers can do absolutely nothing and call it 5K. If the available fault current is higher what is the solution?
The solution is what it's always been. The request for quote and the purchase order specifies what the short circuit rating actually needs to be.

Incidentally as I understand it, the the UL label itself cannot be applied in the field. I am less sure about some of the other markings.

The poster who suggested that the short circuit current rating might actually be higher than what is stated could well be correct. But it doesn't take hours of calculations for simple control panels. A few minutes for each power circuit is typically what it takes.

In most but not all cases you can add current limiting fuses into the feeder circuit which will most times reduce the let-through current enough that UL will allow you to increase the short-circuit current rating of the control panel. The current limiting fuses don't even have to be inside the control panel. I don't have my UL 508A standard handy right this second but I'm not even sure that the marking that says you can have external current limiting fuses has to even be on the control panel. You might be able to just put it on the electrical drawing.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The solution is what it's always been. The request for quote and the purchase order specifies what the short circuit rating actually needs to be.

Incidentally as I understand it, the the UL label itself cannot be applied in the field. I am less sure about some of the other markings.

The poster who suggested that the short circuit current rating might actually be higher than what is stated could well be correct. But it doesn't take hours of calculations for simple control panels. A few minutes for each power circuit is typically what it takes.

In most but not all cases you can add current limiting fuses into the feeder circuit which will most times reduce the let-through current enough that UL will allow you to increase the short-circuit current rating of the control panel. The current limiting fuses don't even have to be inside the control panel. I don't have my UL 508A standard handy right this second but I'm not even sure that the marking that says you can have external current limiting fuses has to even be on the control panel. You might be able to just put it on the electrical drawing.
I think that technically the current limiting fuses do not let you increase the SCCR of the device. They let you decrease the available fault current to the device.
The result is that the SCCR of the unit consisting of the device plus the current limiting fuses can be high enough to match your connection point available fault current.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think that technically the current limiting fuses do not let you increase the SCCR of the device. They let you decrease the available fault current to the device.
The result is that the SCCR of the unit consisting of the device plus the current limiting fuses can be high enough to match your connection point available fault current.
Not the way it works. If you add current limiting fuses in the ul508a feeder circuit, you get to use the let thru current as the maximum available scc for most components and can label the panel sccr as such.

You can't increase the sccr for cb or fuses by this method though, but works for contactors, distribution blocks, etc.

I have no idea why the cl fuse has to be in the feeder circuit to qualify though. It would seem it would work equally as well if the cl fuse was in a branch circuit.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not the way it works. If you add current limiting fuses in the ul508a feeder circuit, you get to use the let thru current as the maximum available scc for most components and can label the panel sccr as such.

You can't increase the sccr for cb or fuses by this method though, but works for contactors, distribution blocks, etc.

I have no idea why the cl fuse has to be in the feeder circuit to qualify though. It would seem it would work equally as well if the cl fuse was in a branch circuit.
What I was trying to say was exactly that the CL fuse does not change the SCCR of the panel, it changes the current that the panel is required to withstand at its input to be less than the upstream available fault current and within the existing SCCR of the panel.
Are you saying that putting a CL fuse in the feeder lets you change the label on the panel? At least that is how I read your wording.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are you saying that putting a CL fuse in the feeder lets you change the label on the panel? At least that is how I read your wording.
Yes. That is the way it works. It is not a universal thing. You have to follow the rules found in ul508a to do so, but it can be done. You can also add other current limiting devices in the feeder circuit such as current limiting circuit breakers or transformers and use them to increase the sccr of the panel. CL fuses are the most common because they are relatively inexpensive.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes. That is the way it works. It is not a universal thing. You have to follow the rules found in ul508a to do so, but it can be done. You can also add other current limiting devices in the feeder circuit such as current limiting circuit breakers or transformers and use them to increase the sccr of the panel. CL fuses are the most common because they are relatively inexpensive.
How does that change the rating on the control panel itself ? I though the upstream current limiting device, reduced the available fault current at the panel to a value this is equal to or lower than the marked SCCR rating.

Or are you saying the label changes where the manufacturer has instructions specifying up stream current limiting devices?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
How does that change the rating on the control panel itself ? I though the upstream current limiting device, reduced the available fault current at the panel to a value this is equal to or lower than the marked SCCR rating.

Or are you saying the label changes where the manufacturer has instructions specifying up stream current limiting devices?
The way it works is sort of screwy. You have to start with the sccr you want. Let's call it 65ka.

Suppose in a power branch circuit you have a component that is 10ka sccr.

You add CL fuses to the feeder circuit. Does not matter if it is in the panel or external. At 65 ka of scc, the fuse let thru is less then 10 ka (I made this number up because I don't recall what it really is). There are charts for this in the UL standard. You get to claim a sccr of 65ka for that branch circuit.

It might be that the cl fuse let thru is only < 10 ka at a scc of 30 ka. If so you can only claim a sccr for the branch circuit of 30 ka.

You cannot use this method for components that have an aic rating like fuses or cbs.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The way it works is sort of screwy. You have to start with the sccr you want. Let's call it 65ka.

Suppose in a power branch circuit you have a component that is 10ka sccr.

You add CL fuses to the feeder circuit. Does not matter if it is in the panel or external. At 65 ka of scc, the fuse let thru is less then 10 ka (I made this number up because I don't recall what it really is). There are charts for this in the UL standard. You get to claim a sccr of 65ka for that branch circuit.

It might be that the cl fuse let thru is only < 10 ka at a scc of 30 ka. If so you can only claim a sccr for the branch circuit of 30 ka.

You cannot use this method for components that have an aic rating like fuses or cbs.
I understand that you can use the current limiting device to lower the available fault current at the control panel, but hat has no effect on the SCCR rating of the control panel. You have simply made it compliant by reducing the available fault current at the panel to a level below its marked rating.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I understand that you can use the current limiting device to lower the available fault current at the control panel, but hat has no effect on the SCCR rating of the control panel. You have simply made it compliant by reducing the available fault current at the panel to a level below its marked rating.
Not according to ul508a. Read thru the supplement on sccr, especially the part on current limiting devices in the feeder circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.