Electrical tape inside a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbeery10

I had a fellow electrician tell me yesterday that I couldn’t bundle hot and neutral branch circuit pairs coming into a panel with tape, I had to use zip ties. He claimed the only time I could use tape in a panel was for using phase tape. I’m extremely skeptical of his claim but can anyone confirm his claim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck Parrish

I too am skeptical . Probably the way his employer told him. A lot of guys think the way they learned how or how not to do something is code.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Well.. Not to agree with the guy giving you a hard time, but wouldn't it be a pain to trace or remove a circuit if it is bundled with tape? if you zip-tie, you could at least still pull the conductor out.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I had a fellow electrician tell me yesterday that I couldn’t bundle hot and neutral branch circuit pairs coming into a panel with tape, I had to use zip ties. He claimed the only time I could use tape in a panel was for using phase tape. I’m extremely skeptical of his claim but can anyone confirm his claim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not only can you use tape you could even not bundle them with anything as just identifying with wire markers is also acceptable. I think most of us use tape or zip ties as it is fast and easy. See 200.4(B).

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I bundle circuit conductors by loosely twisting them together.

No tape, no zip ties

ritelec

I just love tracing out a circuit, opening a panel, and seeing tie wraps bundling wires on both sides of the panel and top spaced every two inches.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I just love tracing out a circuit, opening a panel, and seeing tie wraps bundling wires on both sides of the panel and top spaced every two inches.
What's best is when there are a half dozen very small bundles, then all those bundles are bundled with a whole bunch of single conductors to make one enormous bundle. I've cut out as many as 300 zip ties from one panel.

paulengr

Not only can you use tape you could even not bundle them with anything as just identifying with wire markers is also acceptable. I think most of us use tape or zip ties as it is fast and easy. See 200.4(B).

That’s IF you can pass the neat and workmanlike requirement. That is Code but often not followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.