Interesting conversation with other EC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Pulled up to a new building I just purchased and saw another EC standing outside. He the big guy in town, and was a little abrasive when I pulled up. He did not know I bought the building. He starts the conversation by asking why I did not come to work for him. Then we need to keep the outsiders from coming into town. Back and fourth between those two subjects. I just told him the tax right offs are why I don't work for you. He did peak my interest in keeping the people from couple towns over out of are area.

The so called " outsiders" do charge about $30 less an hour than us, I don't know how, especially since they are union. And they travel about an hour just to get to are area but they do work here often. I don't have the overhead like he does so It currently is not bugging me. He seems like he was in a panic. He use to work for them along time ago. He said they only make a very small amount on each job but they have 15 guys to make up on the low profit.
Told him we should get together like the plumbers and talk about overhead and not short change each other. He kinda liked that but seems to think we are competing against each other.

My idea on the cheaper people out of town is. O well I just have to try and up sell my self even more. Kinda fun sometimes.
Do you guys have problems with EC lowballing you and how do you handle that.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Pulled up to a new building I just purchased and saw another EC standing outside. He the big guy in town, and was a little abrasive when I pulled up. He did not know I bought the building. He starts the conversation by asking why I did not come to work for him. Then we need to keep the outsiders from coming into town. Back and fourth between those two subjects. I just told him the tax right offs are why I don't work for you. He did peak my interest in keeping the people from couple towns over out of are area.

The so called " outsiders" do charge about $30 less an hour than us, I don't know how, especially since they are union. And they travel about an hour just to get to are area but they do work here often. I don't have the overhead like he does so It currently is not bugging me. He seems like he was in a panic. He use to work for them along time ago. He said they only make a very small amount on each job but they have 15 guys to make up on the low profit.
Told him we should get together like the plumbers and talk about overhead and not short change each other. He kinda liked that but seems to think we are competing against each other.

My idea on the cheaper people out of town is. O well I just have to try and up sell my self even more. Kinda fun sometimes.
Seems to me like your handling it pretty well...

Then we need to keep the outsiders from coming into town.

This attitude kinda bugs me. Yes you will have competition. Maybe if you cant compete you should look at what the other guys are doing better and more efficiently than you, and try to improve. I'm only 20 years into this, but pretty sick of it and totally fine with someone finding someone cheaper. I'll go hiking instead of doing the job, win win for everyone!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
In the old days, electrical work went cheap around here due to the “halfbacks”. Retired electricians from up north that would move to Florida, where it was too hot for them, so they would move halfway back. Once we got inspections and license requirements, that seems to help on putting them back into retirement. Still can’t get Atlanta rates, but it is much better now.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If they have a license insurance and permits its all fair
Some JW's are licensed, but few are insured, much less carrying workman's comp. when side-working with a crew. The Hall may be liable, and union business manager's want them, to check insurance and WC policies.

oldsparky52

I found that we actually did better on out of town jobs than we did on in town jobs. Turns out when out of town the guys work a little longer and faster because they wanted to finish up and go home. When it town they have all kinds of excuses to leave and go home. No one liked living in the hotel.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
One of the area City inspectors voiced an opinion that "out of towners" should be restricted from working in town. HUA for moment for him. We buy almost all of our materials in that town. We pay the added City sales tax not only for our materials & permits, but gas, groceries, etc. while there. We paid his wages.

One of the area City inspectors voiced an opinion that "out of towners" should be restricted from working in town. HUA for moment for him. We buy almost all of our materials in that town. We pay the added City sales tax not only for our materials & permits, but gas, groceries, etc. while there. We paid his wages.
I think most people who say that are just regurgitating it and haven't really actually put any thought into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.