Maximum Circuit Length Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What is the maximum length that any one circuit can be run? What are the NEC requirements?

1612355687028.png

I'm asking because 400% minimum short circuit current seems kind of low. According to time current curves it takes up 50 seconds for an OCPD to open:

Wouldn't this create a hazard to life and property?

paulengr

The steel tubing institute offers GEMI for free. The accompanying technical papers explain the basis behind it. And yes, UL class B breakers won’t trip on instantaneous that low except on inverse time.

You CAN go lower and utilities do in rural areas but it requires a different approach. Effective grounding ceases to exist so extensive transient overvoltage control is a necessity. Breakers have to work based on impedance (V/I) which is called distance relaying.

But in general it’s just easier to increase voltage. Most distance problems go away quickly with increased voltage. For instance a modest increase from 230 to 480 V cuts current in half but decreases losses by a factor of 4!

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
In my opinion it is according to BS7671 reg.411.4.5.

Attachments

• BS7671 411_4_5.jpg
    BS7671 411_4_5.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 20

Julius Right

Occupation
NEC 2017 Art.230.95 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment.

(A) Setting. The ground-fault protection system shall operate to cause the service disconnect to open all ungrounded conductors of the faulted circuit. The maximum setting of the ground-fault protection shall be 1200 amperes, and the maximum time delay shall be one second for ground-fault currents equal to or greater than 3000 amperes.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
NEC 2017 Art.230.95 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment.

(A) Setting. The ground-fault protection system shall operate to cause the service disconnect to open all ungrounded conductors of the faulted circuit. The maximum setting of the ground-fault protection shall be 1200 amperes, and the maximum time delay shall be one second for ground-fault currents equal to or greater than 3000 amperes.
can i ask what calc is used for this??? ~RJ~

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Anecdotally , i've seen a number of long runs to 'back 40 barns' that simply do not trip the serving breaker....~RJ~

Julius Right

Occupation
I don’t see any reference to the EMT conduit in this table.
As calculated the short-circuit it is 4 times the device rating, if the distance from source up to fault point it is not more than it is noted, indeed.
However, the voltage drop it is not 40V [ for any row].
If the circuit breaker delay setting it is 1 sec or less according to IEC/TS 60479_1 standard 120 V touch voltage is permissible.

Attachments

• Permissible Touch voltage IEC 60479_1.jpg
    Permissible Touch voltage IEC 60479_1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.