Heating uninsulated shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey guys, right now I have a 20x25 garage I use for my shop. No insulation on 80 percent of walls and none in ceiling. However, I also do not plan to insulate because it's not too cold here to often. Plus I use stud spaces for storage and rafters for storage too. But right now is 0F with a real feel of - 25. Making it unbearable. I have a pancake heater and a few small space heaters but it does not really help. What do you guys use? I also flip houses and a lot of that material ends up being stored here. Paint, etc. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Quick temp fix , buy a roll of plastic and staple gun some plastic up to help hold some heat in, obviously keep plastic away from heat source

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought about it. However, everytime it's cold enough I would need to re apply. I often access both stud spaces and rafters. I do also have a 30amp subpanel to the garage if I need to use it for a bigger heater..

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I use a salamander kerosene heater, sounds like a jet engine but throws a ton of heat, 120,000 BTU. Have used lots of times in uninsulated areas: new construction, garage, under trailers (also helps thaw frozen pipes), in those spaces it quickly raises temperature even when below zero and becomes too warm to work. Used under a trailer for pipe thawing, blasted heat under through opened section of skirting, in 10 minutes raised temp from 5 deg to 85 degrees. Word of caution, make sure there is adequate ventilation as it will elevate CO to dangerous levels, and no flammable materials nearby as it will throw a flame out the throat on startup.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
Been there before would highly recommend going with post#4 FredB gets temp up quick and won’t give you a coronary when you get your power bill.

Buck Parrish

I to use a Kerosene salamander. Your size shop a propane one would work. It works the same way as the kerosene, it blows air through it.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
You may consider that the cold being experienced now is not going to just go away, and the mass media is not going to tell you this.
I advise a wood stove.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You may consider that the cold being experienced now is not going to just go away, and the mass media is not going to tell you this.
I advise a wood stove.
Weather tends to change over time. Been that way forever. I can recall when I was a kid we got a lot more snow. Then we had a few decades of not much snow.

We had one winter here that was almost balmy. Never got below about 10 deg F.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I use a Big Buddy infared propane heater. It has a fan, and for safety a low oxygen cut off. It's very quiet and safe.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I thought about it. However, everytime it's cold enough I would need to re apply. I often access both stud spaces and rafters. I do also have a 30amp subpanel to the garage if I need to use it for a bigger heater..

If all you have is 30 amps going to your garage, forget about electric heat.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
i think Home Depot rents the kerosene salamander heaters, try it, but long term wood stove might be the fix on the cheap side when frigid

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.