switches behind a refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimlight

Occupation
electrician
Hello everyone,
I have new construction home where the layout only allows a three gang switch box that will be semi obstructed behind a refrigerator. Is this a code violation, and if so where is the code reference. I can't seem to find the article. Yes, I know it's not a practical installation but the home owner insists it be in this location. Thanks for the help

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you can operate the switches, I am not sure that there is an actual code violation as 404.8(A) stops short of requiring the switch itself to be readily accessible. It only requires them to be located where they are operable from a readily accessible location.
404.8(A) Location.
All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. ...

dimlight

Occupation
electrician
If you can operate the switches, I am not sure that there is an actual code violation as 404.8(A) stops short of requiring the switch itself to be readily accessible. It only requires them to be located where they are operable from a readily accessible location.
Yes this is only section I can reference and it reads to me that it would be allowed. The refrigerator would be pulled away from the wall several inches to get your fingers behind it making it accessible.? I'm thinking there is no violation just not practical...Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yep bad design. If you can get the cabinet guys to build a panel on the side of the refrigerator then you can mount the switch in the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes this is only section I can reference and it reads to me that it would be allowed. The refrigerator would be pulled away from the wall several inches to get your fingers behind it making it accessible.? I'm thinking there is no violation just not practical...Thanks
Yes it's acceptable. Even with the refrigerator in front of the switches the box and the wiring is still accessible.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
That section is misleading. They linked switches and circuit breakers used as switches in the same rule. Would you allow those circuit breakers to be behind a refrigerator. I am playing devils advocate here... I have never even thought it was an issue til Don posted that section which got me thinking...

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I have too many wires and would be way over box fill...thanks

This is new construction, so you have room to put a large box.

Put in a 3 gang box, deep enough so that you have room for all of your wires and 3 switches.

But then use a single yoke triple switch with a cover that has 2 blanks and space for the triple.

This puts all three switches on one side, so that all three can be reached behind the refrigerator. But you have enough space to do the wiring.

-Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That section is misleading. They linked switches and circuit breakers used as switches in the same rule. Would you allow those circuit breakers to be behind a refrigerator. I am playing devils advocate here... I have never even thought it was an issue til Don posted that section which got me thinking...
Do switch boxes and circuit breaker have the same accessibility requirements?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Do switch boxes and circuit breaker have the same accessibility requirements?
No but the section states readily accessible -- I think it is poor wording. I can see an inspector pushing this issue. We have one around here who would love to enforce that just because that is who he is...

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have new construction home where the layout only allows a three gang switch box that will be semi obstructed behind a refrigerator.

Code doesn't address that specifically because they figure nobody is stupid enough to do something like that. New construction and you have to slide your fingers behind the refrigerator to turn the lights on?? It really falls on the schlock GC who doesn't give any thought to our work. It's easy to mark locations on drawings and let us worry about how to do it. Then when you have to put them behind the refrig who do you think is going to take the flack?

-Hal

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Code doesn't address that specifically because they figure nobody is stupid enough to do something like that. New construction and you have to slide your fingers behind the refrigerator to turn the lights on?? It really falls on the schlock GC who doesn't give any thought to our work. It's easy to mark locations on drawings and let us worry about how to do it. Then when you have to put them behind the refrig who do you think is going to take the flack?

-Hal
Or the architect..........

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
"....the customer insists it be in this location..."

IMHO if the customer is insisting on a horrible location for some switches, as long as it is code compliant, then that is up to them.

As a design choice, I'd probably plan on being asked to change things down the road, and do my best to make what the customer asks for as useable as possible.

-Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No but the section states readily accessible -- I think it is poor wording. I can see an inspector pushing this issue. We have one around here who would love to enforce that just because that is who he is...
What is required to be readily accessible, you're not talking about the switch box.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Since Dennis jumped in as devil's advocate (very suitable for Dennis :)) the wording is:
(A) Location. All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place .. again, devil;s advocate.. standing by the refrigerator is a readily accessible place (Code didn;t say the switch had to be accessible but had to be operated from a readily accessible place :) )
I only say this due to the CMP turning down my proposlas on switch locations saying the switch location was a "design issue, not a Code issue".

Status
Not open for further replies.