20 Amp Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Why does the code require 20 amp circuits when in Canada 15 amp circuits are the norm for everything?
I have no idea about Canada, but the stuff here that's gonna get plugged into a bathroom or kitchen will a lot of times draw more than 12 amps, which is 80% of 15 amps.

Most anything with a heating element is 1500w, or 12.5 amps

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I have no idea about Canada, but the stuff here that's gonna get plugged into a bathroom or kitchen will a lot of times draw more than 12 amps, which is 80% of 15 amps.

Most anything with a heating element is 1500w, or 12.5 amps

80% only applies to a continuous load. 15 amps will not trip a 15 amp breaker, ever.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
1875 watt blow dryer on a 15 all circuit?

Yes

125 volts @ 1875 watts = 15 amps or 8.3 ohms

8.3 ohms at 120 volts = 14.4 amps

And that is being highly optimistic. Any manufacturer can stick a 1000 watt heater inside a tube and label the exterior as 3,500kw.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
80% only applies to a continuous load. 15 amps will not trip a 15 amp breaker, ever.
Heck, sometimes 20 amps won't trip a 15 amp breaker. That's not the issue anyway, imo. The question was why 20 amp circuits, and it's because 80% of 15 amps is 12. And someone has decided 80% is enough. And 12.5 is more than 12.

And as @infinity mentioned, it's upward from there

And I know it's for continous load. And I know stuff cycles on and off. But the answer is still there.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Heck, sometimes 20 amps won't trip a 15 amp breaker. That's not the issue anyway, imo. The question was why 20 amp circuits, and it's because 80% of 15 amps is 12. And someone has decided 80% is enough. And 12.5 is more than 12.

And as @infinity mentioned, it's upward from there

And I know it's for continous load. And I know stuff cycles on and off. But the answer is still there.

Code is wrong in their inference or lack there of I think yet again...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A 20 amp circuit for a bathroom makes sense, you could be powering a hair dryer, lights, exhaust fan, curling iron, makeup mirror, radio and what ever else your significant other or kids have plugged in.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
A 20 amp circuit for a bathroom makes sense, you could be powering a hair dryer, lights, exhaust fan, curling iron, makeup mirror, radio and what ever else your significant other or kids have plugged in.
20 amps is also a good idea in a kitchen when you have a microwave, toaster, rice cooker, air fryer, hot skillet, and a bunch of other crap on 2 circuits.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Right, if you use the code exception in 210.11 C 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.