Are Wago lever nuts approved for industrial use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbom7859

Occupation
Controls Engineer (Industrial)
I know that they can hold 20 amps (It says right on the side), but have they been accepted by the industrial world?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I know that they can hold 20 amps (It says right on the side), but have they been accepted by the industrial world?
One company we worked for (industrial) used them exclusively for smaller conductors and controls. I wouldn’t see a problem as long as there used in the correct manner and sized for the conductors.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
What sort of conditions are encountered in industrial versus say commercial that would have a bearing on the choice of connector? E.g., if vibration is an issue, how do Lever Nuts compare to wirenuts compare to something else?

Cheers, Wayne

James L

Occupation
Electrician
But we have residential grade and other higher grades on things like switches and receptacle devices...
But they aren't higher amps or a better quality amps.

Those higher grades relate to durability of the whole component, not the amps rating of the metal inside

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But we have residential grade and other higher grades on things like switches and receptacle devices...
Those, just like the term "loadcenter", are marketing terms. All of the grades meet the requirements of the product standards and there are not separate standards for "higher grade" products.

kwired

Electron manager
I wouldn't use those things anywhere. Seen lots of issues with them
You sure about that or just don't like them and assuming they are inferior? Keep in mind we are talking about the "lever nuts" in this thread that have a pressure release lever for inserting/removing conductors and not the "push in" type. Also must assume they are being used within their design criteria.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you don't want your name being the answer to "who put these lever nuts in here?!", I would check with your higher ups to see if they are approved for use in your facility. In many situations, CYA is the most important factor.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The 221 series lever nuts are fantastic. Where they really shine is with finely stranded wire like UL1015 or SO cord.

Looks like they have 300 Volts marked on them. Not sure if that means L-G or L-L. If it means L-L, then maybe they aren't suitable for 480V systems?

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Looks like they have 300 Volts marked on them. Not sure if that means L-G or L-L. If it means L-L, then maybe they aren't suitable for 480V systems?

300V is L-G. They're acceptable for use on 480V Y-connected systems.

SceneryDriver

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I wouldn't use those things anywhere. Seen lots of issues with them

I've designed permanently installed theme / effects lighting for cruise ships. I can tell you that the Chief Electricians (a hard group to please) on cruise ships like and accept the Wago Lever-Loks, but will throw you off the ship if they catch you trying to use wire nuts. The Lever-Loks hold up extremely well in changing temps and high vibration environments. What issues, exactly, have you seen with them?

SceneryDriver

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
The only time I have seen them fail is when they aren't properly installed. Same as wirenuts or any other connector. But if you take a look, you can see if they are fully seated. I use them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.