GFI on commercial refrigerators

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomYing

Occupation
Consulting Engineering
Most commercial refrigerator, ice machines, and cooking equipment manufacturers do not recommend connecting their product to GFI circuits because of the compressor and other induction loads that can trip the GFI during startup and shut down.

Is their an exception to the NEC 210.8(B)(3) allowing those commercial products to not be connected to GFI circuits?

If not what is the recommendation on how to connect the appliance.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Unfortunately manufacturers recommendations do not override code and they have had plenty of time to make their products compatible with GFCI's. We have been using GFCI's on construction sites for years and if the tools and cords are maintained they work fine.

Roger

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... We have been using GFCI's on construction sites for years and if the tools and cords are maintained they work fine. ...
And rarely does a year go by without a "The damned GFCI keeps tripping out and I can't get any work done" complaint on a construction site with a myriad of poorly-maintained extension cords buried in the mud and submerged in the puddles.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And rarely does a year go by without a "The damned GFCI keeps tripping out and I can't get any work done" complaint on a construction site with a myriad of poorly-maintained extension cords buried in the mud and submerged in the puddles.
Perfect example of the GFCI doing it's job even if it's as often as once a year. (y)

Roger

TomYing

Occupation
Consulting Engineering
Unfortunately manufacturers recommendations do not override code and they have had plenty of time to make their products compatible with GFCI's. We have been using GFCI's on construction sites for years and if the tools and cords are maintained they work fine.

Roger

TomYing

Occupation
Consulting Engineering
I realize the code writers at NEC do not take in consideration the application of a static situation like a commercial refrigerator that stores food and is not moved around like equipment on a job site. They are like a residential refrigerator which is exempt from being connected to a GFI circuit.

So what is the NEC recommendation when using a GFI circuit on a Commercial Refrigerator that produces EMI when cycling on and off to avoid tripping during the on and off cycle?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I realize the code writers at NEC do not take in consideration the application of a static situation like a commercial refrigerator that stores food and is not moved around like equipment on a job site. They are like a residential refrigerator which is exempt from being connected to a GFI circuit.

So what is the NEC recommendation when using a GFI circuit on a Commercial Refrigerator that produces EMI when cycling on and off to avoid tripping during the on and off cycle?
The substantiation for GFCI protection of cord and plug connected equipment in non-dwelling kitchens was based on reports of injuries and deaths.

Depending on the location of the receptacle for a dwelling unit refrigerator, it may require GFCI protection.

There are no exceptions to the rule for GFCI protection for receptacles in commercial kitchens, and there have not been a lot of reports of issues with commercial refrigeration equipment tripping GFCIs. The requirement for GFCI protection of 15 and 20 amp, 125 volt receptacles in non-dwelling kitchens has been in the code starting with the 2008 code. This expanded in the 2017 code to include receptacles on branch circuits of 150 volts or less to ground up to 50 amps for single phase systems and up to 100 amps for 3 phase systems.

I would expect that the larger commercial refrigerators and freezers are hard wired and not subject to the GFCI protection rule.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have wired many commercial kitchens and a few years ago when this came up on a university cafeterias units another manufacturers units were bought that worked fine with GFCI's and the original manufacturer went back to the drawing board.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What is the reasoning for why this only applies to cord and plug equipment? Never seemed very logical to me.
I have been told hardwired EGC's are more likely to remain intact verses a plug, receptacle connection.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have been told hardwired EGC's are more likely to remain intact verses a plug, receptacle connection.

Roger
That was the reasoning for the original GFCI requirements, but it seems we are moving away from just receptacle protection.

kwired

Electron manager

Getting to where nearly anything cord and plug connected in a commercial kitchen needs GFCI, where it once was just 15 and 20 amp 120 receptacles, and before that was just within six feet of sinks.

NEC treats all commercial kitchens the same, though not all are used the same. Some are periodically hosed down, others almost never see that kind of water applied during cleaning operations.

Refrigerators don't specifically require GFCI in commercial or residential, but if cord and plug connected the receptacle location is what will drive any GFCI requirements that could apply to it.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have wired many commercial kitchens and a few years ago when this came up on a university cafeterias units another manufacturers units were bought that worked fine with GFCI's and the original manufacturer went back to the drawing board.

Roger
I've had the same experience more than once. The UL standards for this type of equipment require leakage current well below the GFCI trip levels.

sw_ross

I’m doing some work at a bar that is buying a glass washer that will be located behind the bar counter. I had told the owners that it will need to be on a GFCI when we were in the planning stage.

The owner texted me today with info that the sales rep told him it can’t be on a GFCI. I asked him to see if he could find out the reasoning. I haven’t heard back but I’m guessing it’s similar to the OP’s situation?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I've had the same experience more than once. The UL standards for this type of equipment require leakage current well below the GFCI trip levels.
Amazon sells (CE) labeled equipment with no compliance with NRTL leakage currents, and no FCC compliance for electronic noise.

More armchair shopper are buying this un-listed crap online that blows GFCI's, AFCI's, and causes havoc with dimmers and LED lights.

If missing NRTL listing or labeling per 110.3(C) installation is prohibited, property / fire / casualty insurance is void, and we don't warranty.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The UL standards have not caught up with the industry. The VFDs used in refrigerators and cooling equipment can cause high frequency leakage current that may trip a GFCI. The current product standards do not address this issue.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Amazon sells (CE) labeled equipment with no compliance with NRTL leakage currents, and no FCC compliance for electronic noise.

More armchair shopper are buying this un-listed crap online that blows GFCI's, AFCI's, and causes havoc with dimmers and LED lights.

If missing NRTL listing or labeling per 110.3(C) installation is prohibited, property / fire / casualty insurance is void, and we don't warranty.
There is nothing in 110.3(C) that requires all products to be listed. There are specific products that the NEC required to be listed, but that is not a general rule that all electrical equipment be listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.