Preferred code cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have a house that I bid for a friend, with me helping him.

We have no state mandated code.
There will be no permit, no AHJ, no inspection.

Curious which code cycle you would wire the house to? As a whole, my favorite would be 1996, with some tweaking

I figured no AFCI anywhere
No more than 2 bathroom receptacles per 20 amp circuit
20 amp circuit for garage receps
Smoke and CO detectors per most recent

What would you do?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Curious which code cycle you would wire the house to? As a whole, my favorite would be 1996, with some tweaking

What would you do?
No AFCI's.
2017 NEC requirements

Although I don't care about specific code compliance at my house, there are only a few things I can think of that I would skip:
1. No afci
2. No TR receps
3. I would use mwbc without handle ties
4. I might use 14 pigtails on general 20 amp recep circuits.
5.probably wouldn't GFCI kitchen receps that are further than 6 feet from a sink.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Although I don't care about specific code compliance at my house, there are only a few things I can think of that I would skip:
1. No afci
2. No TR receps
3. I would use mwbc without handle ties
4. I might use 14 pigtails on general 20 amp recep circuits.
5.probably wouldn't GFCI kitchen receps that are further than 6 feet from a sink.
We actually have one municipality here (Kansas City, Kansas) that is on the 2011 code, but they have a written amendment to not require TR receptacles👏👏

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would wire it like the song Johnny Cash had about building a car "one piece at a time"! Someone was taking extra parts from a car assembly plant and when they had enough parts they built a 1967-68-69-70-71-72-....car!
IOW, I would choose some from each code that I liked and definitely exclude AFCI and some of the GFCIs.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If you exclude AFCIs, TRs and outside disconnects there really isn't to much difference (or at least anything to object to) in residential since the 2011.

Whichever you pick will be just fine.

-Hal

AC\DC

Occupation
EC

just curious, how much handyman hack crap do you fine if you have no, permit,AHJ , or inspection. Sounds kinda cool ,but I see enough hack thing from my area , and we are heavily regulated.
I would use still do as post # 11stated

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician

What would you do?
Well if your work is going to be in a non code area why not just go all the way back to K&T or get a used FP panel, can do 2 circuits for the entire space and 60A entry. There was a thread here posting a copy of the first NEC published, might use that. Or use one you should be familiar with as your profile show to be from KC and IAEI shows you're on the 2011 NEC there, that should make it easier to do what you're familiar with.
Addendum
Another option is to go with the most recent as "it" is "supposed to be" the safest of codes if you believe that it is the basic purpose of NEC.

Last edited:
just curious, how much handyman hack crap do you fine if you have no, permit,AHJ , or inspection. Sounds kinda cool ,but I see enough hack thing from my area , and we are heavily regulated.
I would use still do as post # 11stated
I am in the somewhat unique position of working in two polar opposite locations, one that is heavily regulated and one that is not regulated hardly at all. Washington state has state licensing, permits and inspections for pretty much everything, and plan review for many projects (City of Seattle). Then here in central New York State, there is hardly any licensing hardly any permits or inspections. I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of work or the amount of hackwork I see. so, except for my selfish reasons of making more money where it's more regulated, I have become quite against licensing and permits.

macmikeman

We stayed on the 08 until just about a year and a half ago , and then jumped to the 17. I got so used to 08 codes having had 12 full years of it.
The missing 11 and 14 has left me with a bit of a confidence gap. I used to consider myself a code guru, but now I have to jump to the book frequently cause its a whole new ball game .

The 2005 code was good. 84 was even better.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
We stayed on the 08 until just about a year and a half ago , and then jumped to the 17. I got so used to 08 codes having had 12 full years of it.
The missing 11 and 14 has left me with a bit of a confidence gap. I used to consider myself a code guru, but now I have to jump to the book frequently cause its a whole new ball game .

The 2005 code was good. 84 was even better.
We did the same thing, jumped from the 08 to the 2017. Very frustrating!

retirede

What’s with the hate for TRs? IMO, they’re not a big deal - don’t really add significant cost, cause problems (unlike AFCIs), or are aesthetically objectionable (unlike in-use covers).

Status
Not open for further replies.