Threaded RMC into 2 gang w/p box

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenL1983

Occupation
Electrician
Does installing threaded RMC wrench tight into the threaded female hub of a 2 gang weatherproof box meet the requirements for a wet location? I’ve got an inspector saying it need a Myers hub and is wanting documentation stating that out installation is ok.
Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If it is a threaded opening then the inspector is incorrect. Is the thread on top or bottom. I'll assume top but that should not make a difference. Put some silicone around the outside and see if that will make him happy.

StevenL1983

Occupation
Electrician
It’s on the side. It’s a 5 hole 1/2” KO box. It’s mounted is a manner that there are two holes on the right side and two on the left.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Rmc is rated wet location, the box is rated wet location so I am not sure what he wants. If push came to shove you could use a wp locknut on the outside and thread into the box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The Myers hub has straight threads designed for use with a locknut if anything using one of those would be a violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
And with the ko's on the side what is this inspector worried about. We generally use silicone on all threads just for extra security

StevenL1983

Occupation
Electrician
The Myers hub has straight threads designed for use with a locknut if anything using one of those would be a violation.
I know right? It’s a third party inspector on a data center site. They have to try to justify their paycheck. They throw a lot of you know what against the way and hope something sticks. It’s very frustrating

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I’ve got an inspector saying it need a Myers hub and is wanting documentation stating that out installation is ok.
Thanks
He may be masquerading as an inspector but he's clueless.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If it is a Bell box, the instructions say the threads must be sealed, that means either Teflon tape or pipe dope at the time of installation IMO, not silicone around the fitting afterward. Not sure about an FS box.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If you're sealing the threads on a metal conduit it needs to be done in a way that does not impede the grounding continuity of the raceway.
But if the threaded connection is made up wrench tight, is it possible to interfere with the grounding continuity? E.g. if you put silicone in the threads before tightening, won't the wrench tight connection involve interference/deformation of the threads, resulting in metal to metal contact?

Cheers, Wayne

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
But if the threaded connection is made up wrench tight, is it possible to interfere with the grounding continuity? E.g. if you put silicone in the threads before tightening, won't the wrench tight connection involve interference/deformation of the threads, resulting in metal to metal contact?

Cheers, Wayne
one would think so, but the code seems to think otherwise.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If you're sealing the threads on a metal conduit it needs to be done in a way that does not impede the grounding continuity of the raceway.
I guess then that a green grounding conductor would be required, but what does that have to do with the fact that every Bell Box carries that instruction and that makes it a requirement to follow?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
one would think so, but the code seems to think otherwise.
Citation?

When bonding threaded pressure pipe with joints made with dope, it is assumed that the joint will provide electrical continuity, so there is no need to jumper each fitting. Of course, the standard for bonding conduit may be higher than bonding other systems.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.