New Refrigerator VS AFCI update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
The refrigerator is now running in the dual function Siemens breaker. This was the extent of the home owner's involvement. He plugged the refrigerator into a GFCI protected circuit and it ran . It ran this way for I believe a week . Then he realized he had inadvertently used the dishwasher cord on the refrigerator. Both are detachable and both are Bosch . That or it running for some measure of time , no less than 48 hours possibly up to a week seems to have done the trick .
It will be interesting to see if ,when the dishwasher is plugged in,v it trips the dual function it is on .

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
You are referring to this thread? https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/new-refrigerator-trips-afci.2562591/

Just confirm my summary: The fridge reliably tripped 4 different AFCI breakers. It was then connected _with a different cord_ to a GFCI protected circuit and ran for a week.

Is the fridge now functioning correctly on an AFCI circuit with the new cord, or is it still on the GFCI only circuit?

-Jon

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Am I reading correctly that the problem may have been in the detachable cord ??
(Thanks for updates)

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
I wonder if the cord has some kind of surge protection or noise filtering built into it.
I asked, he said there was no obvious signs of that being the case . This guy is very mechanically capable and works at a very big power plant in a position of significance. He has a good understanding of basic electrical theory.

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
Am I reading correctly that the problem may have been in the detachable cord ??
(Thanks for updates)
Right two things changed the fact that it ran and, I believe it ran for a week .. and the cord confusion . He said the only difference in the cord seemed to be the length. I know the appliance folks are concerned about moisture getting into heating elements causing enough leakage to trip GFCI protection.. but this held on GFCI and tripped on AFCI .
I came across air handler that tripped an afci until they ran a set up program. Maybe the refrigerator is smart adjusts somehow ?

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
You are referring to this thread? https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/new-refrigerator-trips-afci.2562591/

Just confirm my summary: The fridge reliably tripped 4 different AFCI breakers. It was then connected _with a different cord_ to a GFCI protected circuit and ran for a week.

Is the fridge now functioning correctly on an AFCI circuit with the new cord, or is it still on the GFCI only circuit?

-Jon
Yes .
It was 3 new D.F. breakers . I think Augie suggested one more try at a new one .
Yes it is plugged into the original brand new AFCI it first tripped and is running.

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
One more thing about the cord . It ran on the GFCI with the dishwasher cord . And was tried on all three D.F. breakers with that cord . It wasn't until he got back this weekend that he realized the cord mix up switched it and presto change o it ran .

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have heard adding extra lengths of wire in the panel reduces nuisance tripping if the circuit is short. But haven’t seen any hard evidence that this is true. Was the correct cord longer?

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
Hillbilly , He said the cord it's now running on is twice as long .. How he knows which is which is a mystery to me . Like I said , it will be interesting to see if the dishwasher trips as it too is protected by a brand new Siemens DF breaker .

Buck Parrish

We had one of those high dollar Sub Zeros delivered with a cut in the cord. The HO asked me to fix it. I said I would but it would ruin her warranty.
She called and told Sub Zero . They sent her another brand new one. Told her to keep the old one.
So I said do you want me to haul the old one off for you. She says no the carpenter fixed the cord. It's going in the pantry. (It was a very big pantry, house too}

Mdsparky

Occupation
electrician
Fridge tripped the D.F. again . It ran for at least the 36 hours he was there to observe. He left came back for the weekend.. Fridge was tripped. He's trying an extension cord to an AFCI only this weekend . So far so good but, it has run for days before . This is so far beyond the practical safeguarding of the hazards associated with the use of electricity, that it should be scrubbed.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Fridge tripped the D.F. again . It ran for at least the 36 hours he was there to observe. He left came back for the weekend.. Fridge was tripped. He's trying an extension cord to an AFCI only this weekend . So far so good but, it has run for days before . This is so far beyond the practical safeguarding of the hazards associated with the use of electricity, that it should be scrubbed.
I am so glad I live in Michigan. The powers that be were smart enough to 'scrub' the residential AFCI requirement years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.