Contactor that doesn't hum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Looking for advice...

I have a residential application with a 20A contactor that hums when it's energized/closed. This particular client is very sensitive to the hum and I'm hoping to find a replacement. The contactor is an Eaton C25BNB220T. I need to use 24V for the coil voltage.

Any advice regarding different brands or types of contactors that would not hum would be appreciated.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Looking for advice...

I have a residential application with a 20A contactor that hums when it's energized/closed. This particular client is very sensitive to the hum and I'm hoping to find a replacement. The contactor is an Eaton C25BNB220T. I need to use 24V for the coil voltage.

Any advice regarding different brands or types of contactors that would not hum would be appreciated.
One way would be using a DC coil.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Looking for advice...

Have you tried a different one of the same style? We use tens of thousands of Siemens IEC contactors and I've never heard any of them hum.

Terminator5047

Occupation
Electrician
Looking for advice...

Use a RIB

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Use a latching relay.
I think I need some education on this. I only have one control circuit and when that circuit is opened I need the contactor to open. I see latching relays with 'latch' and 'unlatch' on the wiring diagrams. I cannot be dependent on a second circuit to unlatch the relay, but is there a type that unlatches itself? What terminology should I be using to filter google results?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Exactly. ASCO also has an accessory (#47) for their mechanical latching contactors that allow for 2-wire control.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Everybody puts their name on that contactor, Eaton, GE, Square D, I believe Asco is the actual manufacturer. The nice thing about them, is the contacts are field convertible from N/O to N/C by simply moving the contact block. The only other manufacturer I know of, that can do the same is Square D’s LX series, but theirs is a lot harder to configure.

Status
Not open for further replies.