Y’all ever wired a goat house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
One thing i learned quickly, everything has to be piped. They eat everything. Half my time has been spent getting them off my truck. They ate the stickers off my truck tag. They chewed my valve stems. They get under my truck and chew who knows what.

I ran everything under 48” in GRC and everything overhead in EMT.

At one point, three of them were standing on the roof of this backhoe. They’re pretty dang cute animals though.

c9d28ca125c0c078357ff3c91d18fcf8.jpg

5337f82135924d052874b389d46d02a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

growler

Wow, I never thought about goats being able to climb like that. I guess there is a reason they are often refered to as mountian goats.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Thats a very nice look goat barn. Are those dwarfs, maybe nubians
Wife and I purchased a meat goat, from our 4H auction this year. Goat meat is the most popular meat in the world except in the US.
So far the meat has been great, but of course is was hand reared.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thats a very nice look goat barn. Are those dwarfs, maybe nubians
Wife and I purchased a meat goat, from our 4H auction this year. Goat meat is the most popular meat in the world except in the US.
So far the meat has been great, but of course is was hand reared.
So far? Are you only eating it one leg at a time?

(reminded me of an old joke about a 3 legged pig...)

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Wow, I never thought about goats being able to climb like that. I guess there is a reason they are often refered to as mountian goats.
Oh, they climb - amazingly well. We saw lots of wild goats in Morocco - they were on lop of the trees grazing.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We had goats as kids. One didn't quite clear the 5' fence we had surrounding their area and hung there overnight in subzero weather. The foot fell off but it only slowed her a bit. Minus one rear foot she could still jump up and walk the 5" wide rim of an inground silo. Cars were not an issue. Visiting neighbors didn't think it near as funny as my brothers and I.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

If you want to skip to the good part -- or shall I say, the terrifying part -- fast forward to the 2-minute mark. o_O
When he pans the camera for the view straight down to see the ibex against that drop, I felt an involuntary pucker in my nether regions. :eek:😨

retirede

I guy I used to work with got some goats. He fenced in an area for them but made the mistake of installing the corner post braces on the inside of the fence. They walked up the brace and jumped the fence.

He came home to find two of them standing on the hood of his new Cadillac.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
A friend of mine who has goats also has a motor driven gate to his property, and his goats kept getting out when the gate opened. He rigged a system that rings a bell when the gate opens and deposits food at a location removed from the gate so that when the gate opens the goats go for the food rather than rushing the gate. The goats are smart enough to associate the bell with the food drop but not smart enough to realize they are being manipulated.

Jon456

Yeah, the owner wanted to put a duct booster fan on the vent pipe in the back because it gets kinda ripe in there during the summer! I told it probably wasn’t a good idea.
Install a fan to blow fresh air in and use the positive pressure to blow the noxious odors from the pit out a vent pipe.

synchro

Occupation
EE
If you want to skip to the good part -- or shall I say, the terrifying part -- fast forward to the 2-minute mark. o_O

I remember seeing that video a while back before it had gotten so many views (now over 200 million).
Humans do crazy stuff like that too, for example Alex Honnold. I saw the movie Free Solo that covered his free solo climb of El Capitan, and it made quite the impression when viewing it on the big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.