Type NM in EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotteng

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Can Type NM cable be installed in EMT in dry locations in a single family dwelling? This is not a question of whether or not it's a good practice, but one of code allowance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can Type NM cable be installed in EMT in dry locations in a single family dwelling? This is not a question of whether or not it's a good practice, but one of code allowance.
Yes it's allowed. For flat cables you would need to size the EMT as if the cable were round using its largest dimension. Since it's considered a single conductor you can use 53% fill of the raceway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Note 9 to the tables in Chapter 9-- to expand on what Infinity stated

A multiconductor cable, optical fiber cable, or flexible
cord of two or more conductors shall be treated as a
single conductor for calculating percentage conduit or
tubing fill area. For cables that have elliptical cross
sections, the cross-sectional area calculation shall be
based on using the major diameter of the ellipse as a
circle diameter. Assemblies of single insulated conductors
without an overall covering shall not be considered
a cable when determining conduit or tubing fill area.
The conduit or tubing fill for the assemblies shall be
calculated based upon the individual conductors.

Southwire says their 12/2 NM has a width of 0.430". Click on the "specifications" tab on this page:

That's an area of 0.145 in2.

Cheers, Wayne
The stuff I measured was definitely smaller than that. Perhaps a different brand or manufacturing differences , but irregardless it still fits in 1/2 EMT

micabay

Appliance Tech
Occupation
Appliance Tech
This is often done in basement for a receptacle onexposed wall, use EMT on the wall up to ceiling
Tom,
Thanks for this real world application. I have seen this a number of times in older basements. Yet wondered if this was kosher or not. Not many basement in these new developments popping up all over Kitsap.
Drew

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Tom,
Thanks for this real world application. I have seen this a number of times in older basements. Yet wondered if this was kosher or not. Not many basement in these new developments popping up all over Kitsap.
Drew
You’ll need a bushing on the end of EMT, there is a push on plastic one, I use a box connector

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
You’ll need a bushing on the end of EMT, there is a push on plastic one, I use a box connector
I Will usually have one of these couplers on the EMT where the NM is going into the EMT not a bushing.
1639297971618.png
Another note is that the NM sheathing is not to be stripped as it runs through the conduit. (Just thought I'd point it out as other posts had asked can this be done.)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I Will usually have one of these couplers on the EMT where the NM is going into the EMT not a bushing.
View attachment 2558681
Another note is that the NM sheathing is not to be stripped as it runs through the conduit. (Just thought I'd point it out as other posts had asked can this be done.)
That's the connector that most EI's in my area will accept. Is there a Code section that doesn't allow you to strip the sheathing off the NM cable ? What happens if you have one cable in and one cable out to another receptacle ?

That's the connector that most EI's in my area will accept. Is there a Code section that doesn't allow you to strip the sheathing off the NM cable ? What happens if you have one cable in and one cable out to another receptacle ?
I would say two issues with stripping. First is the article 310 marking requirements, but more importantly the NM inners are not an approved article 310 conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.