Exceptionally high utility bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Customer called about an exceptionally high electric bill. Went to check, things found may or may not be directly related to the high bill. Opinions as to each if can or cannot be related welcome. To start with one issue I've had on this call was when I arrived found my amp meter not functioning (how do I know? multiple items running and 0 Amps but POCO meter spinning like mad.) But moved on with investigation.
Back ground: older Mobil home, someone rewired at some point.
Findings:
Main Disconnect: Voltage high, but normal, evenly distributed 249V LL 125/124LN. Both Neutral and Ground connections had improperly made or damage, cut off/missing parts of multi strand conductors, not all of conductor strands under pressure connector.
Inside panel: Voltages similar to outside panel. Found multiple circuits that had mixing of neutral and grounds on wrong buses. 2 circuits had neutral on the ground bus. (Yes panel N/G unbonded). Nearly every circuit termination was loose, some as much as 2 full turns to get listed torque. 2 circuits had visible heating of neutral wires (discoloration). One of which was related to a circuit HO had been using a portable heater that cord and plug had gotten very hot (reported by HO). Receptacle was very discolored. No breakers tripping. That circuit also was one that had neutral on the ground bus. HO reported that he later used the heater on a different circuit without the plug getting hot.
Pulled the discolored receptacle, found severe arcing evidence with partial meltdown, worst on the neutral terminal.
Without an amp meter was only able to semi check for draw by observation of meter spin. After repairs made to inside panel and bad receptacle, rechecked meter spin. Isolated known larger loads from reading by turning off water heater and water pump breakers. No repair or change to outside panel yet. (Didn't feel like getting involved in working on the live outside panel in the rain). Spin had slowed some but still not good. Started to remove loads while observing spin. Found 2 circuits that by turning off would practically stop the meter spin. By returning either of the loads each had slight surge then balance with a slower but still a high rate of spin but did notice an odd effect only associated with these 2 circuits a mild continuous pulsing of the meter spin. (Seems these 2 circuits need further investigation with an amp meter.) Neither circuit was the one with burnt receptacle. Returned the known larger loads without the 2 suspect circuits, larger loads produced an expected increase in rotation of meter that leveled off once water pressure maxed and water heater achieved temperature. Then returned suspect circuits to the loads, still issue, high rotation and pulsing. Circuits are bathroom and master bedroom. Bedroom has a lot of electronics. Bathroom (I know a violation but it is there) has an added receptacle in another room that has a chest freezer plugged in.
Pulsing is puzzling, not sure if I'd see it on an amp meter. Not seeing any voltage pulse with voltmeter, might not be sensitive enough?

Any thoughts for further exploration?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Your loose terminations and hot receptacles indicate unwanted resistances, which should indeed be corrected, but they would reduce current, not raise it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Mobile home…
I assume they have a main outside that feeds a panel inside.
Have they noticed any other problems or just a high bill?
Turn off the inside main breaker and see if the meter stops.
Again, I’m assuming the well and HVAC unit breakers are in the outside disconnect.
If it doesn’t it could be the feeder wire with a bad section between the outside disconnect and the inside panel.
When these go bad I have seen them cause a rise in consumption, but not for very long. The bad wire heats the dirt around the bad spot in the cable.
Some of these aluminum wires are direct buried, some aren’t..

kwired

Electron manager
Customer called about an exceptionally high electric bill. Went to check, things found may or may not be directly related to the high bill. Opinions as to each if can or cannot be related welcome. To start with one issue I've had on this call was when I arrived found my amp meter not functioning (how do I know? multiple items running and 0 Amps but POCO meter spinning like mad.) But moved on with investigation.
Back ground: older Mobil home, someone rewired at some point.
Findings:
Main Disconnect: Voltage high, but normal, evenly distributed 249V LL 125/124LN. Both Neutral and Ground connections had improperly made or damage, cut off/missing parts of multi strand conductors, not all of conductor strands under pressure connector.
Inside panel: Voltages similar to outside panel. Found multiple circuits that had mixing of neutral and grounds on wrong buses. 2 circuits had neutral on the ground bus. (Yes panel N/G unbonded). Nearly every circuit termination was loose, some as much as 2 full turns to get listed torque. 2 circuits had visible heating of neutral wires (discoloration). One of which was related to a circuit HO had been using a portable heater that cord and plug had gotten very hot (reported by HO). Receptacle was very discolored. No breakers tripping. That circuit also was one that had neutral on the ground bus. HO reported that he later used the heater on a different circuit without the plug getting hot.
Pulled the discolored receptacle, found severe arcing evidence with partial meltdown, worst on the neutral terminal.
Without an amp meter was only able to semi check for draw by observation of meter spin. After repairs made to inside panel and bad receptacle, rechecked meter spin. Isolated known larger loads from reading by turning off water heater and water pump breakers. No repair or change to outside panel yet. (Didn't feel like getting involved in working on the live outside panel in the rain). Spin had slowed some but still not good. Started to remove loads while observing spin. Found 2 circuits that by turning off would practically stop the meter spin. By returning either of the loads each had slight surge then balance with a slower but still a high rate of spin but did notice an odd effect only associated with these 2 circuits a mild continuous pulsing of the meter spin. (Seems these 2 circuits need further investigation with an amp meter.) Neither circuit was the one with burnt receptacle. Returned the known larger loads without the 2 suspect circuits, larger loads produced an expected increase in rotation of meter that leveled off once water pressure maxed and water heater achieved temperature. Then returned suspect circuits to the loads, still issue, high rotation and pulsing. Circuits are bathroom and master bedroom. Bedroom has a lot of electronics. Bathroom (I know a violation but it is there) has an added receptacle in another room that has a chest freezer plugged in.
Pulsing is puzzling, not sure if I'd see it on an amp meter. Not seeing any voltage pulse with voltmeter, might not be sensitive enough?

Any thoughts for further exploration?
that right there might be the above normal use of the billing cycle if they don't normally use said heater but have recently been using it a lot.

loose connections and other things you found are a problem and a little bit of energy loss to heat, but ultimately will result in more obvious problems and aren't necessarily that much significant loss either. For one thing during heating season that heat isn't truly lost it just lessens heating equipment load a little - as long as they are in the heated space anyway.

kwired

Electron manager
Also don't just look at dollar amount due on the bill, compare consumption amounts to previous billing cycles.

If rates changed, additional charges were added (even if one time thing), or where applies maybe budget billing amount been re-assessed and a new necessary billing amount has been determined.

If high because of demand charges (where applicable)- figure out why demand has increased.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It seems to me like the two circuits you shut off that caused the meter to all but stop are what you should be looking at.

Might have a freezer with the defrost stuff on, or a heater that the thermostat has failed on, Might be a refrigerator compressor that is failing.

kwired

Electron manager
It seems to me like the two circuits you shut off that caused the meter to all but stop are what you should be looking at.

Might have a freezer with the defrost stuff on, or a heater that the thermostat has failed on, Might be a refrigerator compressor that is failing.
What if those loads have always been significant loads in past billing cycles?

Freezer with defrost stuck on probably will be noticed that things aren't frozen. Defrost heaters will normally heat the space faster than the compressor can take heat away.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Just had an employee for a customer this morning ask why his electric bill almost doubled this month, electric water heater, heat pump……that threw up the first red flag. Probably heat pump crapped out, emergency resistance heat cutting on. Unfortunately, the op said gas heat, so it’s not that easy of find for his problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.