Little Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
and I use the term loosely.
Sheetrock was hung & taped in my OF garage last week. I'm all electric so I had three 1500-watt 120v heaters plus 4000 and 4800 watt 240-volt heaters to dry the mud.

I purposely turned all on to confirm VD calculations. Almost exact.
I loaded up one circuit with all three 1500 watt heaters. (34.5 amps trips a 20 amp Homeline in about 30 seconds).

I have a Ufer plus two rods. Current on the GEC was 1.7 amps for the above load.

What is the resistance my GES?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I loaded up one circuit with all three 1500 watt heaters. (34.5 amps trips a 20 amp Homeline in about 30 seconds).
I think many of us would like to know how long it would hold with two heaters at 23 amps.

Current on the GEC was 1.7 amps for the above load.

I think we'd need more info. Why is there any current on it?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I think many of us would like to know how long it would hold with two heaters at 23 amps.

would not the fact its in parallel with the neutral at the service disconnect, allow some current even if its in milliamps normally.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
and I use the term loosely.
Sheetrock was hung & taped in my OF garage last week. I'm all electric so I had three 1500-watt 120v heaters plus 4000 and 4800 watt 240-volt heaters to dry the mud.

I purposely turned all on to confirm VD calculations. Almost exact.

I have a Ufer plus two rods. Current on the GEC was 1.7 amps for the above load.

Just take off your GEC and connect 120volts and measure with an amp clamp than E/I=R.

:p. I say this because I don’t know how to go about figuring it the way you are asking.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
This is a B question. IDK the answer. Voltage applied is 118. Current is 1.7. is it that simple?
No.
current is 1.7
All that means is there is 1.7A on there, but you don’t know what was on other wires.
It could be that simple if ALL the current was going through it, and not sharing another path.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020

Why is there any current on it? ..

That would be my concern, current on the grounding electrode conductor. nothing should be on that reference unless there's a problem.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Total current on the hot was 34.5. 1.7 is on the GEC. 32.8 on the neutral by subtraction.
FWIW, VD was 123.8 to 118.3 or 5.5 volts.
. . .
1/0 1/0 2 Al 300'. Buried in PVC.
OK, if I understand your description properly, the transformer to load circuit looks like this: an ungrounded 1/0 Al conductor, the load, and a #2 Al neutral in parallel with the path utility GES - earth - service GES. So you won't be able to determine your service GES resistance, just the sum of the utility GES and service GES resistances.

Call the ungrounded conductor resistance R1, the neutral resistance R2, and the sum of the GES resistances R3. #1/0 has (almost) twice the area of #2, so we should have R2 = 2 * R1. As R2 and R3 are parallel paths, we should have 32.8 * R2 = 1.7 * R3, or R3 = 19.3 R2. Then the parallel return paths have a resistance of RN = R2 * (1/(1+1/19.3)) = 0.95 R2 = 1.9 R1.

Thus the total series resistance causing the 5.5V drop for 34.5A is 2.9 R1. That means R1 = 55 mOhms, R2 = 110 mOhms, and R3 = 2.1 Ohms. That resistance R3 seems implausibly small, so maybe there's a mistake in my calculations, or an unjustified assumption in the model? The model does ignore any impedance of the transformer.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.