Photovoltaic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
How concerned should someone be in regards to 1000 volt conductors resting against the racking where it transitions to different angles. I have used a split Smurf tube and a plastic protection for when the conductor rests against the racking but is that necessary or code?

Seems that everyone is concerned about "pretty" I'm more concerned about possible fire and quality for customer.

Also. Does the ground conductor that is bonding the arrays and combiner boxes have to be 1000 volt rated or can it be 600 volt thhn?

250.118 Types of Equipment Grounding Conductors. The
equipment grounding conductor run with or enclosing the
circuit conductors shall be one or more or a combination of
the following:
(1) A copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum conduc‐
tor. This conductor shall be solid or stranded; insulated,
covered, or bare; and in the form of a wire or a busbar of
any shape.

If what you are talking about is actually a bonding jumper then:

250.102 Grounded Conductor, Bonding Conductors, and
Jumpers.
(A) Material. Bonding jumpers shall be of copper, aluminum,
copper-clad aluminum, or other corrosion-resistant material. A
bonding jumper shall be a wire, bus, screw, or similar suitable
conductor.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
How concerned should someone be in regards to 1000 volt conductors resting against the racking where it transitions to different angles. I have used a split Smurf tube and a plastic protection for when the conductor rests against the racking but is that necessary or code?

Seems that everyone is concerned about "pretty" I'm more concerned about possible fire and quality for customer.

Also. Does the ground conductor that is bonding the arrays and combiner boxes have to be 1000 volt rated or can it be 600 volt thhn?
I would be concerned about wires being fastened taught over sharp angled edges of racking at any voltage. But this can be avoided with diligent wire management. I've never seen reason to install additional materials for protection, and it's not required by code, which isn't to say it would never be a good idea. Use something UV rated.

I agree the ground wire insulation rating is meaningless. Some AHJs may not be smart enough to understand why.

BradPV

Occupation
Residential PV Qualifier
Depending on the ground lugs used they are generally rated for solid conductors only. Be sure to check the manufacturers documents. We transition from solid to insulated stranded at a bus in the JB just to make conduit pulls easier.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
1000 volt conductors resting against the racking where it transitions to different angles
my concern to this comment here if applicable , make sure the bend of the cable making the angle is at least 10 times the diameter of the conductor, any tighter you could develop a hot spot at that point.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
Depending on the ground lugs used they are generally rated for solid conductors only. Be sure to check the manufacturers documents. We transition from solid to insulated stranded at a bus in the JB just to make conduit pulls easier.
if the conductors are photovoltaic 1000 volt is there an issue with the ground being a thhn 600 volt.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Take from this what you will

300.3(C) Conductors of Different Systems.
(1) 1000 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of ac and dc
circuits, rated 1000 volts, nominal, or less, shall be permitted to
occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway.
All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at
least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor
within the enclosure, cable, or raceway.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
What issue, why?

Wa

If you mean the equipment grounding conductor then it doesn't make sense to worry about it. Not sure if the code would actually require it.
Not talking about the equipment grounding conductor. I'm referring to the 600 volt thhn Insulated conductor bonding the racking, cable tray. If the DC conductors are 1000 volt insulated would there be an issue on a fault if the conductor bonding the metal had a 600 volt rating

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If the DC conductors are 1000 volt insulated would there be an issue on a fault if the conductor bonding the metal had a 600 volt rating
Would a bare conductor be allowed for bonding? If so, the insulation level on the bonding conductor is immaterial.

Similarly, what's the insulation level on the metal that this this 600V insulated conductor is bonding?

Cheers, Wayne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Not talking about the equipment grounding conductor. I'm referring to the 600 volt thhn Insulated conductor bonding the racking, cable tray. If the DC conductors are 1000 volt insulated would there be an issue on a fault if the conductor bonding the metal had a 600 volt rating

I really don't see it any differently

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I take from it that the word "conductors" in the part you bolded refers to circuit conductors, not bonding conductors.

Cheers, Wayne
Yeah that is what we don't know. Above that section they talk of circuit conductors and include the equipment grounding conductor and bonding conductor

(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the
same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all
equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors
shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter,
cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless
otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1)through
(B)(4).

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer

I get it that
Yeah that is what we don't know. Above that section they talk of circuit conductors and include the equipment grounding conductor and bonding conductor
I think you answered the question. Insulation of conductors should be the same which is what I was pondering. The question arouse because it is already done on the whole array and I was curious if I was missing something

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
Would a bare conductor be allowed for bonding? If so, the insulation level on the bonding conductor is immaterial.

Similarly, what's the insulation level on the metal that this this 600V insulated conductor is bonding?

Cheers, Wayne
I'm assuming an insulated bonding conductor is called for. Someone lost the print apparently and I don't have access to anything.

I think you answered the question. Insulation of conductors should be the same which is what I was pondering. The question arouse because it is already done on the whole array and I was curious if I was missing something

I do not agree, see post number 4. equipment grounding conductors are permitted to be bare

Status
Not open for further replies.