For One Man Operations: What Type of Truck Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
I am at the point where I need a "new" truck. Trying to buy used because of the crazy prices these days. I have an F150 4x4 with utility cap that has seen better days. I don't do any new construction, so I don't haul a lot of cable, etc. Do mostly small residential and commercial service work, plus security systems.
I really hate driving a full size van, had one before the F150, but I'm thinking of going back to a van for ease of access. Using a utility cap in winter and rain is a PITA. (getting old) Problem is good used vans are harder to come by than an F150 with 4x4. I've also seen the RAM CV Trademaster that looks pretty neat, and they cost less. Just wondering what you one man outfits like me are using. Thanks for pros and cons of either.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Lately, new is cheaper than used! That is if you can find one. I hate vans because they rattle too much. But if you want a van, look at step vans instead. I think you can get a better deal on the used ones, than a regular van. More usable space too.

ritelec

A regular van.
How do some guys work out of pickup with cap... is beyond me, insane, I had to once years ago for someone I worked for. smh
Step van, have fun trying to park it and the cost.

Regular ole van. Maybe some rattling, but it's a work truck.

My van has years and miles on it, my concern is if I decide to get another (if I can find one) what will happen if all goes electric?

My 2 cents.

ALL THE BEST

James L

Occupation
Electrician
When I was only doing small residential remodel work (basements, bathrooms and kitchens) my favorite vehicle was a Chevy HHR. I had a 2008 (totaled it) and a 2011. Rear seats fold down flat to make a nice delivery vehicle.

Then my wife wanted me to have a work/personal vehicle that could haul me, her and my son when needed.

So I parked the '11 HHR and bought a 2008 Chevy Colorado crew cab and put a tonneau cover on it. It wasn't too bad until I started doing new construction again. It just won't haul 100 can lights and 5000 ft of Romex + ladders.

So last November I bought a 2005 Chevy Astro cargo van. I really like the size, in between mini- and full-size. Amazon sells shelving units for it, and I need to get a couple more. The previous owner built three drawers on the floor - two pulling out from the rear. Really nice for keeping breakers and connectors in one and fasteners in the other. Then a third drawer pulls out the passenger side, and that's where I keep hole saw, drill bits, and stuff for services like acorns, bonding bridges, ground bars, etc.

Gas mileage is much better than a full size van.

But I miss driving the HHR getting 30+ mpg

hillbilly1

Occupation
I always liked working out of a utility truck. Easy to get to everything from the outside, and no rattling! The last one has a sliding bed top, and I hated it. Crawling into the back was no fun. Everybody says “Oh! Vans keep everything dry! I never had an issue keeping what I wanted dry, dry. With a van, if you have any size of job at all, you can’t get to the bins because the floor is stacked full of material.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I grew up in a used car family. Older brother was high school auto shop genius, turned mobile-mechanic shop.

Always had to carry tools onboard, with half bald tires that refused to align from salvaged titles, at least 10-years old.

Did not give up fixing my used vehicles until nearly 50-yrs old when brake failure wrecked my truck coming home from a service call. My love of fixing junk wasn't working out under demands of urban service work.

Had to get new vehicle to fit small car port, but driving without jumper cables or replacing parts, makes it feel like a rental.

My new ride does take hard hit ditches, and side swipes to my wheels wreck the other guys. Only insurance claim required was a front end collision. Most fender benders are not reported claims if it still rolls. Lost hubcaps & smashed lights are ordered online, and replaced easily.

Ladder rack is essential for 10ft sticks of anything that wont fit inside, however, shelving sucks inside a small van.

More tool drawers with inventory maybe could face the center isle, rather than less drawers facing rear doors.

Somewhat grateful for good U-turn radius, slideing doors on both sides, and optionally removed windows with no rear view mirror. No one sees whats inside.

No break-ins yet, but without rear-view mirror & opting out of backup camera, rear end has hit low-lying walls.

Vehicle damage is not tolerated as a FedEx / UPS / AMAZON step van courier, or any employer who churns commercial driver's licenses. Fleet insurance demands termination of employees for "preventable" vehicle damage. Anything while backing up is preventable. One mistake and your out.

If not self employed, I'd be fired for cause, afraid to use references, virtually black balled for doing any kind of driving.

Service vehicles get beat up, especially lacking commercial driving experience with the Smith system, or parallel parking without rear view mirrors. Most claims involve backing out of parking spaces. Thats why the Gig economy leverages other people's vehicles.

Given the abuse it takes, with timely fluid flushes, and dealer service schedules, my vehicle remains strong at 85k mi., with continuously variable transmission under its 100k mi. warranty.

Next year my NV200 turns 10, hopefully the hydrogen version from Brazil will be available in the States soon.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I bought a truck in March 2020, then immediately got furloughed, then terminated without notification, so didn't use my truck hardly at all for a year, only put maybe 2000 miles on it until I started working for myself in April 2021. So, I didn't I didn't really buy the truck FOR this job, but it works.

2015 Nissan Frontier King cab (I think that's what it's called, it's the one with tiny little back seats that may work for kids under 5). My wife insisted on the heated seats, power windows, and 4-wheel drive. The 4-wheel drive actually has been useful since I started working with the truck. But if my wife hadn't been here, I would have gone with a 2010 Mazda B2300 that was on Facebook Marketplace in Kansas City, 4 or 5 hours north of me. That was a really clean-looking truck with a manual transmission, very fuel efficient, exactly what I was looking for at the time. And it was several thousand dollars cheaper than the Nissan. But again, it wasn't really supposed to be a work truck, and since it turned into one, the Nissan was a better choice.

After I made a little bit of money with the electrical contracting work, I bought a $5000 ARE topper, just 3" taller than the truck roof, with bins on the sides, but skipped the good ladder rack. I still need to mount a box or a pipe up top for conduit and strut storage, and would like to add some shelving on the inside, and organize more rarely-used parts in the hardest places to reach. Right now I have them setting in there in an old wooden box that someone made literally 100 years ago, that was setting in my garage. And a milk crate next to the wooden box.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
When I was only doing small residential remodel work (basements, bathrooms and kitchens) my favorite vehicle was a Chevy HHR. I had a 2008 (totaled it) and a 2011. Rear seats fold down flat to make a nice delivery vehicle.

Then my wife wanted me to have a work/personal vehicle that could haul me, her and my son when needed.

So I parked the '11 HHR and bought a 2008 Chevy Colorado crew cab and put a tonneau cover on it. It wasn't too bad until I started doing new construction again. It just won't haul 100 can lights and 5000 ft of Romex + ladders.

So last November I bought a 2005 Chevy Astro cargo van. I really like the size, in between mini- and full-size. Amazon sells shelving units for it, and I need to get a couple more. The previous owner built three drawers on the floor - two pulling out from the rear. Really nice for keeping breakers and connectors in one and fasteners in the other. Then a third drawer pulls out the passenger side, and that's where I keep hole saw, drill bits, and stuff for services like acorns, bonding bridges, ground bars, etc.

Gas mileage is much better than a full size van.

But I miss driving the HHR getting 30+ mpg
The Astro sounds like something that would work for me. I had no idea Chevy made an Astro cargo van. I too am trying to make the work/personal thing happen. Thank you.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
I always liked working out of a utility truck. Easy to get to everything from the outside, and no rattling! The last one has a sliding bed top, and I hated it. Crawling into the back was no fun. Everybody says “Oh! Vans keep everything dry! I never had an issue keeping what I wanted dry, dry. With a van, if you have any size of job at all, you can’t get to the bins because the floor is stacked full of material.
I hate rattling! My ears ring enough from years of drilling ans hammering!

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
If you’re current vehicle is still working I would just keep it for a couple more years. Save the money rough times are coming.
Yeah, that's been on my mind too. But my ranger is a 2000 rusting away from underneath. Only has 108,000 mikes, but the bed support towards the front is gone so the bed sags 1 inch behind the cab. One end of a cross member that supports the gas tank is also half gone. It will need tires soon too. I don't want to spend money on new tires with all that rust happening below. It's a gamble each time I take it out!

Last edited:

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
I grew up in a used car family. Older brother was high school auto shop genius, turned mobile-mechanic shop.

Always had to carry tools onboard, with half bald tires that refused to align from salvaged titles, at least 10-years old.

Did not give up fixing my used vehicles until nearly 50-yrs old when brake failure wrecked my truck coming home from a service call. My love of fixing junk wasn't working out under demands of urban service work.

Had to get new vehicle to fit small car port, but driving without jumper cables or replacing parts, makes it feel like a rental.

My new ride does take hard hit ditches, and side swipes to my wheels wreck the other guys. Only insurance claim required was a front end collision. Most fender benders are not reported claims if it still rolls. Lost hubcaps & smashed lights are ordered online, and replaced easily.

Ladder rack is essential for 10ft sticks of anything that wont fit inside, however, shelving sucks inside a small van.

More tool drawers with inventory maybe could face the center isle, rather than less drawers facing rear doors.

Somewhat grateful for good U-turn radius, slideing doors on both sides, and optionally removed windows with no rear view mirror. No one sees whats inside.

No break-ins yet, but without rear-view mirror & opting out of backup camera, rear end has hit low-lying walls.

Vehicle damage is not tolerated as a FedEx / UPS / AMAZON step van courier, or any employer who churns commercial driver's licenses. Fleet insurance demands termination of employees for "preventable" vehicle damage. Anything while backing up is preventable. One mistake and your out.

If not self employed, I'd be fired for cause, afraid to use references, virtually black balled for doing any kind of driving.

Service vehicles get beat up, especially lacking commercial driving experience with the Smith system, or parallel parking without rear view mirrors. Most claims involve backing out of parking spaces. Thats why the Gig economy leverages other people's vehicles.

Given the abuse it takes, with timely fluid flushes, and dealer service schedules, my vehicle remains strong at 85k mi., with continuously variable transmission under its 100k mi. warranty.

Next year my NV200 turns 10, hopefully the hydrogen version from Brazil will be available in the States soon.
All that with an NV200. Thank you.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
I bought a truck in March 2020, then immediately got furloughed, then terminated without notification, so didn't use my truck hardly at all for a year, only put maybe 2000 miles on it until I started working for myself in April 2021. So, I didn't I didn't really buy the truck FOR this job, but it works.

2015 Nissan Frontier King cab (I think that's what it's called, it's the one with tiny little back seats that may work for kids under 5). My wife insisted on the heated seats, power windows, and 4-wheel drive. The 4-wheel drive actually has been useful since I started working with the truck. But if my wife hadn't been here, I would have gone with a 2010 Mazda B2300 that was on Facebook Marketplace in Kansas City, 4 or 5 hours north of me. That was a really clean-looking truck with a manual transmission, very fuel efficient, exactly what I was looking for at the time. And it was several thousand dollars cheaper than the Nissan. But again, it wasn't really supposed to be a work truck, and since it turned into one, the Nissan was a better choice.

After I made a little bit of money with the electrical contracting work, I bought a $5000 ARE topper, just 3" taller than the truck roof, with bins on the sides, but skipped the good ladder rack. I still need to mount a box or a pipe up top for conduit and strut storage, and would like to add some shelving on the inside, and organize more rarely-used parts in the hardest places to reach. Right now I have them setting in there in an old wooden box that someone made literally 100 years ago, that was setting in my garage. And a milk crate next to the wooden box.
I was thinking about a Nissan Frontier. Is the bed longer than 6ft? My Ranger has a 6ft bed and I hate having to jamb a 6ft ladder sideways on top of all my other gear. The cap has a ladder rack where the 6ft stepladder is normally kept, excpet when I have other ladders on the rack. that's why I was looking for a full size pickup that has a 6-1/2ft bed, so the damn ladder can just fit in the bed straight. Thanks for your reply.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Last January my 2006 F-150 broke down was not worth it to fix, so I found a 2000 S-10 ex cab 4 wheel drive. Works fine for now, just really need to plan day wisely with materials. Up here in NW Wisconsin really need 4 wheel drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The short bed is definitely a drawback to the Nissan Frontier. With the tailgate on, my 6 foot ladder would not fit in straight, had to put it at an angle. I got a truck cap with rear doors, it replaces the tailgate. It adds about an inch, now the 6-footer will fit straight in with the doors closed.

And I believe this is the longest bed you can get on a Frontier. I see ones with a little 4-foot bed sometimes, they look useless to me.

I see old Toyota pickups with long beds, but the only one I ever saw for sale was $8000 for a 30 year old truck with hundreds of thousands of miles, and this was before the pandemic.

hillbilly1

Occupation
The Astro sounds like something that would work for me. I had no idea Chevy made an Astro cargo van. I too am trying to make the work/personal thing happen. Thank you.
I’ve had a couple of Astro’s, the 4.3 V6 holds up pretty well, other than the pollution control devices. Mine was passenger and one was a conversion van. GM doesn’t make them anymore, but they came in long wheel base and Four-wheel drive too. Don’t see many around anymore in the south. Because they are rear wheel drive, they pull trailers reasonably well too.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Last January my 2006 F-150 broke down was not worth it to fix, so I found a 2000 S-10 ex cab 4 wheel drive. Works fine for now, just really need to plan day wisely with materials. Up here in NW Wisconsin really need 4 wheel drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's nice to know there is someone who has a 2000 besides me! I like having 4 wheel drive too and the thought of a van with 2 wheel drive doesn't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.