AC pull out disconnect for detached garage feeder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What's everyones thought on a AC type pull out disco being used on a detached garage with a feeder (more than a multiword branch circuit)? 225.36 states ", or other approved means" trying to decipher what that really means. Needing to add a disconnect to a bldg with small panel inside without changing that panel out (panel to old for backfed hold down kit to be used in). TIA!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I see no reason an appropriately-sized pull-out wouldn't work, unless it needs to be service-rated.

I used one once as a disconnect at the house wall for a generator mounted out in the yard.

kwired

Electron manager
What's everyones thought on a AC type pull out disco being used on a detached garage with a feeder (more than a multiword branch circuit)? 225.36 states ", or other approved means" trying to decipher what that really means. Needing to add a disconnect to a bldg with small panel inside without changing that panel out (panel to old for backfed hold down kit to be used in). TIA!
Does the feeder include an EGC? If not I believe that is where the mentioned 250.32(B) exception 1 would kick in and would require your disconnect to be rated as suitable for use as service equipment. Which I think that suitable for use as service equipment was the rule for all installations until one of the last couple code editions, so if you happen to be on old enough code at the location it may still be the rule.

norcal

That's what I do, with a wirenut, splice device, etc. There's no reason it has to be mounted to the enclosure.
That is what I was wondering, there always seems to be a hidden rule like no EMT connectors in Myers hubs, when slightly unusual methods are used. Pullout disco's are pretty cheap compared to enclosed breakers, or safety switches.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The only problems I see is how to connect the neutral and the grounding electrode conductor and also you may need a fused a/c switch. You may have to change the bonding terminal also.
Imo, I would just add a small 6 circuit panel and back feed a main breaker

kwired

Electron manager
The only problems I see is how to connect the neutral and the grounding electrode conductor and also you may need a fused a/c switch. You may have to change the bonding terminal also.
Imo, I would just add a small 6 circuit panel and back feed a main breaker
I think he is trying to feed an existing panel that he can not get a hold down for a back-fed main for whatever reason.

But yes if having issues like you mention can always use a panelboard designed to house a single breaker. Many those aren't all that expensive either and have more room inside than the typical AC pullout disconnect. Many the AC disconnects only designed to make entries in the bottom or near the bottom on side and back walls, so if you need a top entry you sort of out of luck with those.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does the feeder include an EGC? If not I believe that is where the mentioned 250.32(B) exception 1 would kick in and would require your disconnect to be rated as suitable for use as service equipment. Which I think that suitable for use as service equipment was the rule for all installations until one of the last couple code editions, so if you happen to be on old enough code at the location it may still be the rule.
Great catch and your on point with that article! But yes the feeder will have an EGC, so 250.32 B won't apply

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Right on the label: Service Disconnect.
But I dont think the intent is to state that it is "service rated". It would literally have to say suitlabe for service/service rated etc on it. But on a feeder to a detached bldg a service rated one is not required unless and exception would apply as mentioned here before.

Status
Not open for further replies.