120V receptacle in bathroom with steam generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
I received a question from one of our inspectors today as to whether or not a receptacle may be located in a room with a steam generator. The room is approx 10'6' in length and a shower is located on one end. A tub is located in the middle area, and a lavatory sink is located opposite from the shower receptor area (about 10'6" away).
The contractor is proposing to install steam generator in this room. I directed the inspector to get the installation instructions for the steam generator but thought it would be a good question to pose here. Is a receptacle permitted to be installed a room with a steam generator? If not, please provide a code reference.
Thank you
P.S. I'm attaching a drawing of the proposed room.

Attachments

• bathroom with curbless shower and steam generator.jpg
    bathroom with curbless shower and steam generator.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 58

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Kinda makes me think of a boat I had. It had a receptacle in a ( what essentially is a shower room with a lavatory and toilet within it.)
Definitely raises eye-brows with a dumbfounded look

retirede

210.52(D) would require a receptacle within 3’ of the basin. There are no exceptions that would allow you to omit it, afaik.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I agree that a receptacle is required.

However the basin is not separated from the shower area, and will presumably be subjected to high humidity from the steam generator, likely with significant condensation.

The receptacle might be somewhat specialized to be compatible with the moisture present. This might be an ordinary GFCI with cabinetry and airflow designed to avoid moisture issues but still be properly serving the sink counter.

Jon

synchro

Occupation
EE
The receptacle might be somewhat specialized to be compatible with the moisture present. This might be an ordinary GFCI with cabinetry and airflow designed to avoid moisture issues but still be properly serving the sink counter.

I'm thinking that a GFCI breaker would be preferable to a GFCI receptacle, because the electronics and maybe even the interrupting mechanism within a GFCI receptacle might eventually get degraded from excess moisture levels. And if a GFCI receptacle is used then I think a weather resistant one would be appropriate. But I agree with Jon that receptacle placement and local airflow characteristics are important considerations.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I see all the plumbing fixtures, but I don't see the steam generator 🤔

That would be the equipment making the steam.
You want something like this in the shower room? Screenshot_20220502-210428_Chrome.jpg

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't see how that room could be a steam room the way it is designed. Steam rooms need to be pretty well sealed. The ceiling needs to slope so the steam that hits the ceiling will drain down the walls instead of dripping on the occupants. . The windows and vanity cabinet would not last very long. Everything in the room needs to be rated for wet locations. By the size of the room, including the toilet area since there doesn't appear to be a door would probably require 150 amp plus of steam generators.

The actual stems generator does not get installed in the steam room. It gets installed in a adjacent room or cabinet.

kwired

Electron manager
Taking long hot shower and not running exhaust fan sort of gives you same effect doesn't it?

I wouldn't do anything different than if there wasn't a steam generator. Most I would do is use WR type receptacle but probably not use a WR cover on it.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Depending on what plumbing code is used, ICC or UPC, you may not be allowed to have the sink and water closet in the shower. The UPC does not allow any other fixtures in the shower. I agree with Curt, the steam will absolutely ruin the vanity and most likely the window casements.

kwired

Electron manager
Depending on what plumbing code is used, ICC or UPC, you may not be allowed to have the sink and water closet in the shower. The UPC does not allow any other fixtures in the shower. I agree with Curt, the steam will absolutely ruin the vanity and most likely the window casements.
If shower has no curb it still may have a zone that is considered to be the "shower"?

Room in OP is rather small but say it were a much larger "locker room" yet had no curb or other separation for the shower space likely there still would be some imaginary line that sets the boundary for the shower I would think.

vanity or windows could be made of some material that can handle the moisture. I've seen different kinds of windows in showers before, usually not your typical wood clad type though.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If shower has no curb it still may have a zone that is considered to be the "shower"?

Room in OP is rather small but say it were a much larger "locker room" yet had no curb or other separation for the shower space likely there still would be some imaginary line that sets the boundary for the shower I would think.

vanity or windows could be made of some material that can handle the moisture. I've seen different kinds of windows in showers before, usually not your typical wood clad type though.
Under the UPC you could say when the floor slope reaches 2" above the finish drain that would be the "curb". I still say it is a bad design. (just because you can doesn't mean you should)

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Who ever is designing this room and wants to make it a steam shower has obviously never designed or built a steam shower/room before.

I have worked on many projects with steam showers. They need to be sealed rooms with proper sloping floors and sloped ceiling for water vapors to drain off ceiling down then down the walls.

The floor and ceiling in the area with the toilet and second vanity also need to be sloped. A standard interior door leading into this space from the bedroom is not going to cut it.

Even if they use some type of waterproof vanity (all plastic?) everything in the cabinet and drawers will be wet from the steam. You will also have a bad mold issue from the moisture that gets in the cabinet, behind the vanity's, mirrors, etc.

If they want a steam shower they need to completely redesign this room. Make the shower a room by it self and put the toilet, vanities and tub in a separate space.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have worked on many projects with steam showers. They need to be sealed rooms with proper sloping floors and sloped ceiling for water vapors to drain off ceiling down then down the walls.
I think there is a growing opinion, near consensus, that the ceiling should not be sloped.

Fishbrain

Occupation
EC/EE
Who ever is designing this room and wants to make it a steam shower has obviously never designed or built a steam shower/room before.

The floor and ceiling in the area with the toilet and second vanity also need to be sloped. A standard interior door leading into this space from the bedroom is not going to cut it.

Even if they use some type of waterproof vanity (all plastic?) everything in the cabinet and drawers will be wet from the steam. You will also have a bad mold issue from the moisture that gets in the cabinet, behind the vanity's, mirrors, etc.

If they want a steam shower they need to completely redesign this room. Make the shower a room by it self and put the toilet, vanities and tub in a separate space.
It is hard to say that the drawing doesn’t represent a STEAM ROOM.
Have you seen the cross section of the walls (detail of the walls?)

Steam rooms are double -walled and ceiling with moisture membrane between the walls.
It doesn’t have to be sloping for drainage.

I have one that was built years ago. . . and I used redwood panels and double -pane windows.

Fish

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I think there is a growing opinion, near consensus, that the ceiling should not be sloped.
there is a generally accepted standard for 1" per foot of slope on the ceiling, if it isn't sloped it is not a code issue you just get cold water drops raining down on you, quite uncomfortable when you are trying to relax.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It is hard to say that the drawing doesn’t represent a STEAM ROOM.
Have you seen the cross section of the walls (detail of the walls?)

Steam rooms are double -walled and ceiling with moisture membrane between the walls.
It doesn’t have to be sloping for drainage.

I have one that was built years ago. . . and I used redwood panels and double -pane windows.

Fish
I have never seen one that has double walls and you definitely don't what a vapor barrier between walls or it will trap moiature in the walls.

What you are describing sounds more like a sauna, not a steam shower. A sauna has a large heater in the room to make the room very hot and you can add some moisture to the unit. A steam shower has a remote mounted steam generator that fills the room with hot steam.

A sauna will typically have wood (cedar) walls, celing and floor.

I see all the plumbing fixtures, but I don't see the steam generator 🤔

That would be the equipment making the steam.
You want something like this in the shower room? View attachment 2560440
You are correct, it is not shown but is being proposed. We don't plan check residential remodels so this is a field call. The steam shower generator you show at the top is likely what we're talking about.

I agree, but I can't enforce the "Good idea code". I have checked a couple of shower steam generator install manuals and there's not much information about the enclosure/room design requirements.

retirede

I agree, but I can't enforce the "Good idea code". I have checked a couple of shower steam generator install manuals and there's not much information about the enclosure/room design requirements.

Nevertheless, I think your original question about the receptacle serving the vanity has been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.